Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe tourism and travel guide
Visit Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: The highlight here is of course the Abbey of Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe, certainly the best example of roman style architecture anywhere in Poitou-Charentes
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe. For detailed visitor information see the Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe travel guide.
Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe is situated in the Vienne department and Poitou-Charentes region (now part of the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region), in the west of France at 71 kilometres from Poitiers, the department capital (general information: Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe is 280 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe include "heritage site".
Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe in Nouvelle-Aquitaine.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Vienne
Map of places to visit near Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe
Markets in and near Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe
- Saint-Gaultier: market Friday (25km)
- Le Blanc: market Saturday (25km)
- Argenton-sur-Creuse: market Saturday (26km)
- Montmorillon: market Wednesday (29km)
- Saint-Savin: market Friday (32km)
- Mezieres-en-Brenne: market Thursday (42km)
- Saint-Pardoux: market Wednesday (43km)
- Villedieu-sur-Indre: market Wednesday (50km)
- La Roche-Posay: market Tuesday & Friday (50km)
- Chateauroux: market Wednesday & Tuesday & Thursday & Saturday all day & Friday (53km)
More information about Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe, Poitou-Charentes
Tourist attractions near Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe.
- Neuvy-Saint-Sépulchre collegiale St Etienne (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (46km)
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
Regional Natural Parcs
- Brenne (26km)
Churches and religious monuments
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Montmorillon) (29km)
- Abbaye de Saint Savin sur Gartempe (Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe) (32km)
- Eglise de Saint Gervais et Saint Protais (Civaux) (45km)
- Jardin-arboretum de La Sédelle (29km)
Sites of natural beauty
- Etangs de la Brenne (26km)
Towns of Art and history
- Montmorillon (29km)
(recommended place to break a long journey)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Chateauroux (53km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe
from Poitiers (prefecture): 71 km
from Paris: 280 km
from Calais: 502 km
from Nice: 563 km
from Bordeaux: 228 km
from Strasbourg: 543 km
Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe is in the west of France. Most visitors arrive here by car - the ferry ports such as Caen, Saint Malo and Cherbourg are convenient at around 4-5 hours drive. For driving distances to Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe