Angles-sur-l'Anglin, Vienne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Angles-sur-l'Anglin (Poitou-Charentes, France)Photo Gallery
Officially classified as one of the most beautiful villages in France, Angles-sur-l'Anglin is to the north-east of Poitiers, on the eastern border of the Poitou-Charentes region. The village is one of the highlights of the area around Poitiers and is not to be missed.
Facing across the pretty gorge of the river and surrounded by pretty woodland and small fields, the ruins of the Chateau Guichard and the pretty medieval village of Angles sur l'Anglin are set on rocky hills, and complement each other perfectly.
The narrow unspoiled streets of the village are lined with attractive medieval houses that lead to the chateau, and also to a roman style church and belltower.
The easiest way to make sure you see everything in Angles sur l'Anglin is to follow the signed circuit no 2 of the Ville Haute to see the upper town and then take the steps down (more than a hundred!!) to circuit no 1 in Ville Basse to wander around the lower town. As you walk down the steps you get good views of some lovely houses on the opposite side of the river.
- In the Upper Town it is the views across to the castle and village and the picturesque alleys that are the main highlights, as well as an attractive roman style church.
- In the Lower Town you will enjoy a stroll along the river banks and the chance to see a small 12th century chapel with a well preserved roman style entrance and also a traditional mill on the side of the river.
Although it is a small village there are several restaurants and cafes in Angles-sur-l'Anglin so after exploring you can pause for a coffee or for lunch.
The castle in Angles-sur-l'Anglin stands on a rocky promontory above the village and river. It dates from the 11th century, with substantial modifications made in the 12th and 15th centuries. The castle was originally built because of its strategic position: it stood at the junction of three of the most important historic regions in France - Berry, Touraine and Poitier.
Although the castle is in ruins, and closed to the public for safety reasons, it is still an impressive sight and there are sufficient ruins that the important towers and highlights of the castle can still be recognised. These include the donjon, the prison tower, the chapel tower and two chapels.
After the French revolution the castle was declared a 'public quarry' which presumably did little for its state of repair!
France This Way comment: the best view of the castle is from the other side of the mirror-flat river, across the arched bridge.
Quite recently opened to the public at Angles-sur-l'Anglin is the Roc Aux Sorciers ('witches rock'). This is the site of fabulous prehistoric carvings dating from 14 000 years ago. They are said to be the most important carvings of their type in Europe and are fascinating three-dimensional representations of animals, a kind of « Lascaux of sculpture ».
The sculpture was discovered in 1950 but has been inaccessible to the public in order to conserve it. Now a replica has been made in order that everyone can admire this important prehistoric art-work.
You will also enjoy a visit to La Roche-Posay, 12 kilometres from Angles-sur-l'Anglin and a popular spa town on the River Creuse with some interesting historical buildings including a donjon, fortified gates and colombage houses.
Map of Angles-sur-l'Anglin and places nearby
Visit near Angles-sur-l'Anglin with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Vienne
Tourist classifications for Angles-sur-l'Anglin
Angles-sur-l'Anglin is classified as a one of the most beautiful village in France (plus beau villages)
Address: Angles-sur-l'Anglin, Saint-Savin, Montmorillon, Poitou-Charentes, 86260, France || GPS: latitude 46.696, longitude 0.8855
Plan your visit to Angles-sur-l'Anglin, Vienne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Abbaye de Saint Savin sur Gartempe (Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe): religious monument (15 km)
- Eglise de Saint Pierre (Chauvigny): religious monument (23 km)
- Chauvigny: recommended detour (23 km)
- Touffou: remarkable garden (24 km)
- Brenne: regional natural parc (26 km)
- Etangs de la Brenne: site of natural beauty (26 km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Montmorillon): religious monument (30 km)
- Montmorillon: town of art and history (30 km)
- Eglise de Saint Gervais et Saint Protais (Civaux): religious monument (33 km)
- Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe Abbey: heritage site (39 km)
- Futuroscope: theme park (40 km)
- Abbaye de Nouaillé-Mauperthuis (Nouaille-Maupertuis): religious monument (42 km)
The French version of this page is at Angles-sur-l'Anglin (Francais)