Carcassonne tourism and travel guide
Visit Carcassonne: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: The medieval fortress-town of Carcassonne is very extensive and very interesting. Highly recommended!
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Carcassonne. For detailed visitor information see the Carcassonne travel guide.
Carcassonne is situated in the Aude department and Languedoc-Roussillon region (now part of the Occitanie region), in the south of France - it is the prefecture (capital) of the Aude department (general information: Carcassonne is 628 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Carcassonne include "heritage site" and "secteur sauvegarde".
Carcassonne, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Carcassonne in Occitanie.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Aude
Map of places to visit near Carcassonne
Markets in and near Carcassonne
Market days in Carcassonne: weekly market: Tuesday & Thursday & Saturday;
- Carcassonne: market Tuesday & Thursday & Saturday (0km)
- Bram: market Wednesday (20km)
- Limoux: market Friday all day (21km)
- Olonzac: market Tuesday (31km)
- Mazamet: market Tuesday & Sunday & Saturday (31km)
- Lezignan-Corbieres: market Wednesday (32km)
- Esperaza: market Thursday & Sunday (33km)
- Castelnaudary: market Monday all day (35km)
- Labastide-Rouairoux: market Thursday (37km)
- Labruguiere: market Friday (37km)
More information about Carcassonne, Languedoc-Roussillon
Tourist attractions near Carcassonne, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Carcassonne.
Grand sites of France
- Carcassonne City (1km)
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
Regional Natural Parcs
- Haut-Languedoc (47km)
Churches and religious monuments
- Abbaye de Fontfroide (Narbonne) (44km)
- Jardin de l'Évêché (45km)
Sites of natural beauty
- Cité de Carcassonne (1km)
- Gouffre de Cabrespine (18km)
- Gorges de l'Orbieu (28km)
- Grotte de la Devèze (41km)
- Gorges de Galamus (43km)
- Gorges de la Pierre-Lys (44km)
- Forêt de Fontfroide (44km)
- Fontaine Intermittente de Fontestorbes (49km)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Fraisse-sur-Agout (56km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Carcassonne
from Carcassonne (prefecture): 1 km
from Paris: 628 km
from Calais: 861 km
from Nice: 400 km
from Bordeaux: 296 km
from Strasbourg: 728 km
For driving distances to Carcassonne from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Carcassonne