Aigues-Mortes tourism and travel guide
Visit Aigues-Mortes: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: The remarkable town of Aigues-Mortes is a fortified town that retains its entire medieval defences and an interesting historical centre
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Aigues-Mortes. For detailed visitor information see the Aigues-Mortes travel guide.
Aigues-Mortes is situated in the Gard department and Languedoc-Roussillon region (now part of the Occitanie region), in the south of France at 33 kilometres from Nimes, the department capital (general information: Aigues-Mortes is 605 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Aigues-Mortes include "national monument".
Aigues-Mortes, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Aigues-Mortes in Occitanie.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Gard
Map of places to visit near Aigues-Mortes
Markets in and near Aigues-Mortes
Market days in Aigues-Mortes: weekly market: Sunday;
- Aigues-Mortes: market Sunday (0km)
- Le Grau-du-Roi: market Wednesday - seasonal market only (6km)
- Le Grau-du-Roi: market Tuesday & Thursday & Saturday (6km)
- La Grande-Motte: market Thursday - seasonal market only (8km)
- La Grande-Motte: market Sunday (8km)
- Marsillargues: market Tuesday (11km)
- Lunel: market Thursday & Sunday (13km)
- Aimargues: market Tuesday & Sunday & Friday (13km)
- Vauvert: market Wednesday & Saturday (15km)
- Mauguio: market Tuesday all day & Thursday all day & Sunday all day (16km)
More information about Aigues-Mortes, Languedoc-Roussillon
Tourist attractions near Aigues-Mortes, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Aigues-Mortes.
- Mare Nostrum (22km)
Grand sites of France
- Saint-Gilles ancienne abbatialle (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (23km)
- Roman Arles (37km)
- Arles église St Honorat (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (38km)
- Montmajour Abbey (41km)
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
Churches and religious monuments
- Eglise et cloitres de Saint Trophime, Eglise de Saint-Honorat des Alycamps (Arles) (37km)
- Abbaye Notre Dame de Montmajour (Arles) (41km)
- Parc et jardins du château de Flaugergues (22km)
- Jardins de la Fontaine (33km)
Protected historical centre (fr: secteur sauvegardé)
(see also historical French towns)
Sites of natural beauty
- Pointe de l'Espiguette (10km)
- Etang de Scamandre (15km)
- Étangs palavasiens (28km)
- Grotte des Demoiselles (52km)
Zoo and/or wildlife park
- Parc zoologique de Lunaret (27km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Aigues-Mortes
from Nimes (prefecture): 33 km
from Paris: 605 km
from Calais: 839 km
from Nice: 248 km
from Bordeaux: 405 km
from Strasbourg: 621 km
For driving distances to Aigues-Mortes from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
We have 1 other places listed as being close (less than kilometres from ): Le Grau-du-Roi.
This page in French: Visiter Aigues-Mortes