Beaucaire, Gard: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Beaucaire (Languedoc-Roussillon, France)
Beaucaire is a pleasant town in a nice setting on the river bank at the eastern edge of the Gard department, to the east of Nimes. The town is closely linked to Tarascon, which is likely to be visited at the same time, and is just across the Rhone River from Beaucaire (in the Provence region).
Although the main advantage of Beaucaire for visitors is its great location between and close to the towns of Arles, Nimes and Avignon, and its setting between the Rhone River and the Canal du Rhone a Sete, be sure to investigate the town itself when you are in the region
The main feature that you will see on the river is the castle at Tarascon. Beaucaire itself also has an impressive ruined castle standing above the town, with an unusual triangular donjon. The castle is also the location for a popular display of birds of prey known as 'Les Aigles de Beaucaire'.
The town also has a port on the Sete-Rhone canal, which acts as the centre of the town. Here you can stroll along the waterfront as well as organise boat trips or hire boats to explore along the canal.
Apart from the castle and the port, other places of interest in the town include the baroque style Church of Notre-Dame des Pommiers, built in the 18th century, and the Church of Saint-Paul, best known for its unusually decorated spire.
There are also several 17th and 18th century townhouses of architectural interest in Beaucaire such as the baroque facade of the Hotel Margailler, the towers of the Hotel Dulong (Rue Barbès), the Hotel de Clausonnette and the unusual facade of the Hotel de Roys de Lédignan.
France This Way comment: some of the monuments are a little hidden in side streets so we suggest start your visit at Beaucaire tourist office on Cours Gambetta, where you can get a map highlighting each place of interest.
Note: a major event in the life of Beaucaire is the celebrations that take place in the second half of June to celebrate the dragon called 'drac' who, it is said, lived in the river 800 years ago and very frequently emerged to eat people. Unfortunately for those concerned the dragon was invisible, which made him rather hard to stop...
Another festival is held towards the end of July, which includes bulls charging through the streets and everyone having a good time!
Places to visit near Beaucaire
- the Abbey of Saint-Roman, just outside the town, is a fine troglodyte abbey. The abbey was carved out of the soft rock by monks in the 5th century. Several rooms including the chapel can be visited and this unique abbey is on a hill and has lovely views out across Provence.
- at the Mas des Tourelles (take the St Gilles road from Beaucaire) there is an interesting recreation of a roman vineyard, garden and wine cellar where you can also taste 'almost authentic 2000 year old wine'.
Map of Beaucaire and places nearby
Visit near Beaucaire with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Gard
Tourist classifications for Beaucaire
Beaucaire has received the following tourist classifications: recommended detour town (plus beau detour); historical protected town centre' (secteur sauvegardé); listed town of Art and History
Address: Beaucaire, Nîmes, Languedoc-Roussillon, 30300, France || GPS: latitude 43.8081, longitude 4.64417
Plan your visit to Beaucaire, Gard
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Jardin aquatique « Aux fleurs de l'eau: remarkable garden (11 km)
- Montmajour Abbey: national monument (11 km)
- Abbaye Notre Dame de Montmajour (Arles): religious monument (11 km)
- Baux-de-Provence: most beautiful village (14 km)
- Arles: secteur sauvegarde (15 km)
- Roman Arles: heritage site (15 km)
- Eglise et cloitres de Saint Trophime, Eglise de Saint-Honorat des Alycamps (Arles): religious monument (15 km)
- Arles église St Honorat (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (15 km)
- Glanum: national monument (15 km)
- Alpilles: regional natural parc (16 km)
- Pont du Gard: grand site of france (18 km)
- Avignon Centre: heritage site (20 km)
Market days in Beaucaire, France
Regular market(s) are held in Beaucaire each Thursday & Sunday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Beaucaire (Francais)