Ronce-les-Bains, Charente-Maritime tourism & sightseeing
Visit Ronce-les-Bains (Poitou-Charentes, France)
Ronce-les-Bains is the 'sea-facing' part of the town of La Tremblade, situated to the south of La Rochelle on the Charente-Maritime coast of western France. It celebrated 150 years as a sea resort in 2010.
Situated at the end of the Arvert peninsula, the resort was purpose built in the 1860s as a destination to promote the health benefits of sea and sunshine. It prospered after the 1870s when a rail link to La Tremblade opened, as did a casino, and the focus of Ronce-les-Bains changed from health to leisure activities.
The coast here is also well known for a very long established oyster growing industry (hence the photo of oyster beds instead of a nice sandy beach...) and a daily market is held in the town centre.
Beaches at Ronce-les-Bains
There are several beaches to discover stretching along the coast as far as the Coubre lighthouse. There are 25 km of beach and sand dunes in total, many of them backed by the forests of the region.
Several of the beaches have surveillance during summer months (the beaches of Galon d'Or, Phare de la Coubre, la Bouverie and la Pointe Espagnole) and there are two beaches with handicapped access (Plage de la Cèpe and plage du Galon d'Or).
There is also a nude sunbathing beach running south for a few kilometres from Pointe Espagnole.
The main attraction close to Ronce-les-Bains is La Palmyre where you can find several high quality beaches and also a very popular zoo, much loved by children and adults alike.
A day spent exploring the Ile d'Oleron just north-west from here is also recommended.
Map of Ronce-les-Bains and places nearby
Visit near Ronce-les-Bains with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Charente-Maritime
Address: Tremblade, Rochefort, Poitou-Charentes, 17390, France || GPS: latitude 45.7982892, longitude -1.162490844
Plan your visit to Ronce-les-Bains, Charente-Maritime
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Forêt domaniale de la Coubre: site of natural beauty (6 km)
- Forêt de Saint-Trojan: site of natural beauty (7 km)
- Hiers-Brouage: site of natural beauty (9 km)
- Brouage Fortifications: grand site of france (9 km)
- Zoo de la Palmyre: zoo or wildlife park (12 km)
- Pointe de la Coubre: site of natural beauty (13 km)
- Mornac-sur-Seudre: most beautiful village (14 km)
- Jardins de la Boirie: remarkable garden (20 km)
- Rochefort: town of art and history (22 km)
- Royan: town of art and history (22 km)
- Pointe de Suzac: site of natural beauty (25 km)
- Forêt de Suzac: site of natural beauty (28 km)
Market days in Ronce-les-Bains, France
Regular market(s) are held in Ronce-les-Bains each every day except Tuesday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Ronce-les-Bains (Francais)