Mornac-sur-Seudre, Charente-Maritime tourism & sightseeing
Visit Mornac-sur-Seudre (Poitou-Charentes, France)
Mornac-sur-Seudre is in a slightly raised position above the banks of the Seudre River to the north of Royan in the Charente-Maritime department of western France where it forms part of the Arvert peninsula. The village focusses on oyster and salt production, and nowadays also on tourism.
Mornac is classified as one of the 'most beautiful villages of France', and has a picturesque medieval centre with narrow streets lined with ancient houses, whitewashed and typical of the local Charentais style that you see all along this section of coast. The main sights that you will want to see within the village are:
- the roman style Church of Saint-Pierre is a fortified church dating from the 11th century - be sure to go up the belltower for nice views across the village rooftops (the church lost its spire during the Second World War).
- the medieval market hall (in the square next to the church)
- the port area of the Seudre River in Mornac, a pleasant place for a stroll on a sunny afternoon to see the small fishing boats and the cabins belonging to the oyster farmers
- the remains of a chateau that once dominated the village
You will also find lots of small 'arty' type shops (potteries, art galleries etc) in Mornac-sur-Seudre and a good selection of restaurants on the Rue du Port and other the streets between the church and the port
Attractions close to Mornac-sur-Seudre
The surrounding region contains the characteristic landscapes of this part of France, with small woodlands, open agricultural areas, and salt-marshes and tourism is largely focussed on the opportunities to explore these diverse landscapes. Following the signposted walk across the salt marshes from Mornac is recommended.
Exploring on foot or by bike are a popular way to enjoy the peaceful environment, or perhaps take a ride on the small tourist Train des Mouettes, a 19th century steam train that operates between La Tremblade and Saujon, stopping at Mornac (and Chaillevette) on the way. Boat trips along the Seudre river are also available in the village.
Another listed 'most beautiful village' can be seen at Talmont about 20 kilomtres to the south of Mornac-sur-Seudre, on the Gironde estuary.
Note: photo is copyright
Map of Mornac-sur-Seudre and places nearby
Visit near Mornac-sur-Seudre with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Charente-Maritime
Tourist classifications for Mornac-sur-Seudre
Mornac-sur-Seudre is classified as a one of the most beautiful village in France (plus beau villages)
Address: Mornac-sur-Seudre, Royan-Ouest, Rochefort, Poitou-Charentes, 17113, France || GPS: latitude 45.710556, longitude -1.027222
Plan your visit to Mornac-sur-Seudre, Charente-Maritime
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Royan: town of art and history (10 km)
- Zoo de la Palmyre: zoo or wildlife park (11 km)
- Pointe de Suzac: site of natural beauty (12 km)
- Forêt domaniale de la Coubre: site of natural beauty (14 km)
- Forêt de Suzac: site of natural beauty (15 km)
- Brouage Fortifications: grand site of france (16 km)
- Hiers-Brouage: site of natural beauty (16 km)
- Pointe de la Coubre: site of natural beauty (16 km)
- Pointe de Grave: site of natural beauty (20 km)
- Forêt de Saint-Trojan: site of natural beauty (21 km)
- Talmont: most beautiful village (22 km)
- La Roche Courbon: remarkable garden (22 km)
The French version of this page is at Mornac-sur-Seudre (Francais)