Charroux, Allier tourism & sightseeing
Visit Charroux (Auvergne, France)Photo Gallery
Charroux is a small village situated in the rolling countryside to the south of the Allier department (Auvergne region) in central France. The village is classified as one of the 'most beautiful villages of France'.
France This Way comment: an attractive and unspoiled village with some lovely traditional houses, it is a pleasure to stroll around Charroux admiring the architecture, the decorative wells and stone benches.
There are a few places of particular interest to explore in the pretty village of Charroux, including two stone entrance gateways into the town (one with portcullis, sundial and clock); a couple of half-timbered houses and a traditional market hall.
The 12th century church of Saint John the Baptist is a mix of roman and gothic styles (the 12th century chevet is roman, the rest gothic). There is a belfry from which there are good views across the Charroux rooftops (I don't know what happened to the 'missing' top half of the steeple!).
The 'centre' of Charroux, in the citadel, could almost be missed. Accessed by a couple of small paths, you reach a circular sheltered grassy area 'hidden' in the middle of the village, surrounded by old stone buildings.
There is also an interesting small museum dedicated to historical clocks in Charroux. (We were in Charroux at midday, and a cacophony of bells and clocks all ring at the same time.)
From the village viewpoint there are far reaching views across the region - Charroux is at the very northern edge of the massif central on a hill overlooking the extensive 'flat lands' to the north.
There are limited facilities - one or two restaurants and a couple of small shops including a bakers - in this old part of the village.
The small town of Saint-Pourcain-sur-Sioule is about 20 kilometres north-east of Charroux and also pleasant to visit.
Map of Charroux and places nearby
Visit near Charroux with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Allier
Tourist classifications for Charroux
Charroux is classified as a one of the most beautiful village in France (plus beau villages)
Address: Charroux, Chantelle, Moulins, Auvergne, 3140, France || GPS: latitude 46.185833, longitude 3.161944
Plan your visit to Charroux, Allier
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Chareil-Cintrat Chateau: national monument (10 km)
- Forêt des Colettes: site of natural beauty (15 km)
- Montmarault: village d'etape (22 km)
- Vichy: ville fleurie 4* (22 km)
- Parc du domaine royal de Randan: remarkable garden (24 km)
- Abbatial church de Saint Pierre de Mozac (Mozac): religious monument (31 km)
- Collégiale Saint-Victor et Sainte-Couronne d'Ennezat (Ennezat): religious monument (32 km)
- Riom: town of art and history (33 km)
- Marsat: town of art and history (35 km)
- Mozac: town of art and history (35 km)
- Lapalisse: recommended detour (37 km)
- Parc du château de Blanzat: remarkable garden (40 km)
The French version of this page is at Charroux (Francais)