Lapalisse, Allier tourism & sightseeing
Visit Lapalisse (Auvergne, France)
Lapalisse is a small unassuming town situated in the south-east of the Allier department (Auvergne region) of France, north-east of Vichy.
The town is dominated by the castle, certainly the main attraction in Lapallise, but also has some other features of interest such as the 19th century Church of Saint John the Baptist (the church is in the neo-roman style).
There are also a few individual buildings of interest as you explore, such as an ancient mill, a 15th century half-timbered house, and the town hall and original hospital (both 17th century). Lapalisse tourist information office have a leaflet with a suggested route for exploring the town that ensures you best appreciate the highlights.
The Musee de l'Art Brut is another popular attraction in Lapalisse, featuring an extensive and varied range of contemporary art, both permanent and temporary exhibitions. Although the art is by lesser known artists there are many high quality paintings and sculptures to be seen.
Chateau de la Palice
The castle in Lapalisse, the Chateau de la Palice, which along with the associated gardens is the main highlight of your visit. The castle dates originally from the 12th century but has important modifications from later centuries, above all the extensive 16th century renaissance style wing.
This part of the castle is furnished traditionally, but you might not notice because your eyes will be drawn up to the exceptional decorative ceilings!
Next to the castle there is a 15th century gothic style chapel, and there are substantial public gardens below the castle, with a variety of garden styles and water features incorporated in the design.
The area around Lapalisse is also popular with anglers, with fishing available on the River Besbre and in the Molin Marin Lake. The 'Pays de Lapalisse' region has an unspoiled natural environment with numerous small lakes, woodlands and rivers to explore, ideally by taking peaceful walks or bike rides through the countryside.
Note: photo of Lapalisse is copyright
Map of Lapalisse and places nearby
Visit near Lapalisse with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Allier
Tourist classifications for Lapalisse
Lapalisse has received the following tourist classifications: recommended detour town (plus beau detour); recommended place to break a long journey (village d'etape)
Address: Lapalisse, Vichy, Auvergne, 3120, France || GPS: latitude 46.250278, longitude 3.638056
Plan your visit to Lapalisse, Allier
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Vichy: ville fleurie 4* (21 km)
- Eglise de Sainte-Marie-Madeleine (Neuilly-en-Donjon): religious monument (22 km)
- Parc d'Attractions et Animalier (PAL): zoo or wildlife park (29 km)
- Le PAL: theme park (30 km)
- Chareil-Cintrat Chateau: national monument (32 km)
- Eglise de Saint Pierre et Saint Paul (Montceaux-l'Etoile): religious monument (33 km)
- Prieuré d'Anzy-le-Duc (Anzy-le-Duc): religious monument (33 km)
- Parc du domaine royal de Randan: remarkable garden (34 km)
- Eglise de Saint Marcel (Iguerande): religious monument (34 km)
- Eglise de Saint Hilaire (Semur-en-Brionnais): religious monument (35 km)
- Semur-en-Brionnais: most beautiful village (35 km)
- Charroux: most beautiful village (37 km)
Market days in Lapalisse, France
Regular market(s) are held in Lapalisse each Thursday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Lapalisse (Francais)