Sens tourism and travel guide
Visit Sens: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: Sens is an important regional centre dominated by the Cathedral of Saint-Etienne, the first gothic style cathedral built in France
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Sens. For detailed visitor information see the Sens travel guide.
Sens is situated in the Yonne department and Burgundy region (now part of the Burgundy-Franche-Comté region), in the eastern-center of France at 49 kilometres from Auxerre, the department capital (general information: Sens is 100 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Sens include "ville fleurie 4*".
Sens, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Sens in Burgundy-Franche-Comté.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Yonne
Map of places to visit near Sens
Markets in and near Sens
Market days in Sens: weekly market: Wednesday & Monday all day & Friday;
- Sens: market Wednesday & Monday all day & Friday (0km)
- Pont-sur-Yonne: market Wednesday & Sunday (11km)
- Villeneuve-sur-Yonne: market Tuesday & Friday (13km)
- Saint-Valerien: market Saturday (14km)
- Saint-Julien-du-Sault: market Sunday (19km)
- Villeneuve-l'Archeveque: market Saturday (21km)
- Villeneuve-la-Guyard: market Monday (22km)
- Bray-sur-Seine: market Friday (24km)
- Courtenay: market Thursday (24km)
- Joigny: market Wednesday & Saturday (26km)
More information about Sens, Burgundy
Tourist attractions near Sens, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Sens.
- Fontainebleau Palace (49km)
- Chateau de Motte-Tilly (32km)
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
Churches and religious monuments
- Eglises de Saint Loup (Saint-Loup-de-Naud) (38km)
- Collegiale Saint Quiriace (Provins) (40km)
- Eglise de Saint Martial (Seignelay) (41km)
- Abbaye de Pontigny (Pontigny) (45km)
- Parc du château de Thorigny (14km)
- Jardins du manoir du Grand Courtoiseau (37km)
- Jardin botanique de Marnay-sur-Seine (40km)
- Domaine national de Fontainebleau (49km)
- Arboretum national des Barres (56km)
- Parc du château de Vaux-le-Vicomte (59km)
Towns of Art and history
- Auxerre (49km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Sens
from Auxerre (prefecture): 49 km
from Paris: 100 km
from Calais: 323 km
from Nice: 587 km
from Bordeaux: 476 km
from Strasbourg: 332 km
Sens is in the eastern-center of France. Most visitors fly into Paris orly or Charles de Gaulle airports and rent a car or drive from a channel ferry port - allow about 5 - 6 hours driving time. For driving distances to Sens from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
We have 14 other places listed as being close (less than kilometres from ): Collemiers, Courtois-sur-Yonne, Gron, Maillot, Malay-le-Grand, Nailly, Paron, Saint-Clement, Saint-Denis, Saint-Martin-du-Tertre, Saligny, Soucy, Subligny and Villenavotte.
This page in French: Visiter Sens