Coutances tourism and travel guide
Visit Coutances: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: Coutances is well known for its impressive cathedral, built in the 113th century
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Coutances. For detailed visitor information see the Coutances travel guide.
Coutances is situated in the Manche department and Normandy region, in the north of France at 27 kilometres from Saint-Lo, the department capital (general information: Coutances is 278 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Coutances include "town of art and history".
Coutances, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Coutances in Normandy.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Manche
Map of places to visit near Coutances
Markets in and near Coutances
Market days in Coutances: weekly market: Thursday & Saturday;
- Coutances: market Thursday & Saturday (0km)
- Agon-Coutainville: market Tuesday & Saturday (11km)
- Gouville-sur-Mer: market Monday - seasonal market only (11km)
- Gouville-sur-Mer: market Friday (11km)
- Periers: market Saturday (15km)
- Marigny: market Wednesday (16km)
- Gavray: market Saturday (17km)
- Brehal: market Tuesday & Sunday (18km)
- Granville: market Wednesday & Saturday all day (26km)
- Saint-Lo: market Saturday & Friday (27km)
More information about Coutances, Normandy
Tourist attractions near Coutances, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Coutances.
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
- Granville (26km)
Regional Natural Parcs
- Marais du Cotentin et du Bessin (30km)
Churches and religious monuments
- Abbaye de Cerisy-la-Forêt (Cerisy-la-Foret) (41km)
- Argences (5km)
Sites of natural beauty
- Roches de Ham (30km)
- Chausey (33km)
- Forêt de Saint-Sever (39km)
- Baie des Veys (43km)
- Forêt de Cerisy (43km)
- Île des Landes (47km)
- Pointe du Grouin (47km)
- Île des Rimains (49km)
- Île du Guesclin (51km)
- Côte de Cancale à Paramé (52km)
- Île Besnard (55km)
- Havre de Rothéneuf (55km)
- Pointe de la Varde (57km)
(recommended place to break a long journey)
- Villedieu-les-Poeles (29km)
- Torigni-sur-Vire (34km)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Domjean (31km)
- Saint-Malo (61km)
Zoo and/or wildlife park
- Parc zoologique de Champrepus (26km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Coutances
from Saint-Lo (prefecture): 27 km
from Paris: 278 km
from Calais: 317 km
from Nice: 894 km
from Bordeaux: 473 km
from Strasbourg: 675 km
Coutances is in the north of France. Most visitors arrive by car, often from the ferries at Saint-Malo, Cherbourg or Caen on the coast here which are very convenient. For driving distances to Coutances from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
We have 15 other places listed as being close (less than 6 kilometres from Coutances): Ancteville, Brainville, Bricqueville-la-Blouette, Cambernon, Courcy, Gratot, Heugueville-sur-Sienne, La Vendelee, Montchaton, Monthuchon, Nicorps, Orval, Saint-Pierre-de-Coutances, Saussey and Servigny.
This page in French: Visitez Coutances