Bordeaux tourism and travel guide
Visit Bordeaux: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: Bordeaux is an unmissable town, one of the most lively and interesting in France and with lots to see and museums to visit...
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Bordeaux. For detailed visitor information see the Bordeaux travel guide.
Bordeaux is situated in the Gironde department and Aquitaine region (now part of the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region), in the south-west of France - it is the prefecture (capital) of the Gironde department (general information: Bordeaux is 499 kilometres from Paris).
Attractions in Bordeaux
The waterfront in Bordeaux is among the highlights of a visit to this lovely city: Bordeaux Waterfront
Chartrons is an attractive quarter of Bordeaux: Bordeaux-Chartrons
The musée d'Aquitaine has an interesting collection relating to Bordeaux since prehistoric times.: Musée d'Aquitaine
The Musée des Beaux Arts of Bordeaux has an interesting collection of fine art including works by Renoir and Rubens: Musée des Beaux Arts
Tourist classifications for Bordeaux include "heritage site", "national monument", "secteur sauvegarde", "town of art and history" and "zoo or wildlife park". It is unusual for a town to have 5 awards, which indicates how important Bordeaux is as a tourist destination!
Bordeaux, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Bordeaux in Nouvelle-Aquitaine.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Gironde
Map of places to visit near Bordeaux
Markets in and near Bordeaux
Market days in Bordeaux: weekly market: Wednesday & Thursday & Sunday all day & Saturday & Monday all day & Friday;
- Bordeaux: market Wednesday & Thursday & Sunday all day & Saturday & Monday all day & Friday (0km)
- Begles: market Wednesday (4km)
- Cenon: market Wednesday (4km)
- Bruges: market Saturday (6km)
- Gradignan: market Saturday (8km)
- Eysines: market Sunday (8km)
- Carbon-Blanc: market Thursday (9km)
- Bassens: market Sunday (9km)
- Blanquefort: market Saturday (10km)
- Leognan: market Saturday (12km)
More information about Bordeaux, Aquitaine
Tourist attractions near Bordeaux, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Bordeaux.
- Bordeaux cathédrale Saint-André (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (0km)
- Bordeaux basilique Saint-Seurin (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (1km)
- Bordeaux basilique Saint-Michel (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (1km)
- La Sauve église St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (22km)
- La Sauve Majeure abbaye (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (22km)
- Fort Médoc (Vauban fortifications) (32km)
- Cussac Fort Paté (Vauban fortifications) (32km)
- Blaye citadelle (Vauban fortifications) (33km)
- Saint-Emilion (34km)
- Sauve-Majeure Abbey (22km)
- Cave Pair-non-Pair (23km)
- Cadillac Chateau (30km)
Churches and religious monuments
- Collégiale et chapelle de la Trinité (Saint-Emilion) (34km)
- Eglise de Saint Pierre (Petit-Palais-et-Cornemps) (44km)
- Jardins du château de Mongenan (20km)
- Parc du château de Grenade (20km)
- Jardins du château de Vayres (22km)
- Jardin du Fond de l’or (23km)
- Parc du château Lanessan (33km)
- Jardins du château de Malle (38km)
Sites of natural beauty
- Bec d'Ambès (23km)
- Domaine de Certes (38km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Bordeaux
from Bordeaux (prefecture): 0 km
from Paris: 499 km
from Calais: 703 km
from Nice: 637 km
from Bordeaux: 0 km
from Strasbourg: 759 km
Bordeaux is in the south-west of France. Most visitors will fly into Bordeaux airport (or Bergerac) while drivers should allow 7-8 hours driving time from the ports at Le Havre or Cherbourg. For driving distances to Bordeaux from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Bordeaux