Faycelles, Lot tourism & sightseeing
Visit Faycelles (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
Faycelles is a village to the south-west of Figeac, in an imposing position along the edge of a hill with far-reaching views. The location has been occupied since antiquity, both in neolithic times and during the roman era. The village we see today was developed as a bastide town in the 13th century.
It is true that Faycelles is quite small but it deserves a visit when you are in the vicinity. The views of the village as you arrive are one of the highlights of a visit (the best view of the village is from the road towards Cajarc).
The historical centre is based around the Place Gaillarde and along the road called La Tourelle. Here you can see the church and a few other buildings of interest.
The small round tower overlooking the valley below, the Tour Gaillarde, is all that remains of a castle that once stood in the centre of the village until destroyed by Richelieu in the 17th century. The current church was built in the 19th century on the site of the castle.
Elsewhere in the village you can see various attractive stone houses as well as two ancient fountains.
After exploring the centre of Faycelles you can continue with a stroll along the route that follows the western edge of the village: the views across the countryside from here are very impressive.
There are also various traditional structures in the countryside nearby such as bories and pigeonniers - see the sign in the parking at the edge of the village for details of walks that visit these.
Two exceptionally scenic river valleys are close to Faycelles. The valley of the river Lot west from here towards Saint-Cirq-Lapopie, and the valley of the river Célé a little way to the north both have a great deal to enjoy. Of course, Figeac itself is an indispensable site when in the region. You should also visit the beautiful village of Capdenac to the east of Faycelles.
Map of Faycelles and places nearby
Visit near Faycelles with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Lot
Address: Faycelles, Figeac-Ouest, Figeac, Midi-Pyrenees, 46100, France || GPS: latitude 44.566389, longitude 1.987222
Plan your visit to Faycelles, Lot
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Figeac: recommended detour (6 km)
- Figeac Hopital St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (6 km)
- Gréalou dolmen de Pech-Laglaire (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (10 km)
- Assier Chateau: national monument (15 km)
- Causses du Quercy: regional natural parc (24 km)
- Villefranche-de-Rouergue: recommended detour (24 km)
- Gouffre des Vitarelles: site of natural beauty (27 km)
- Saint-Cirq-Lapopie: most beautiful village (28 km)
- Conques pont sur le Dourdou (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (32 km)
- Conques: most beautiful village (33 km)
- Conques abbatiale Sainte-Foy (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (33 km)
- Belcastel: most beautiful village (34 km)
The French version of this page is at Faycelles (Francais)