Lacapelle-Marival, Lot tourism & sightseeing
Visit Lacapelle-Marival (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
The small town of Lacapelle-Marival is situated about 20 kilometres north-west of Figeac in the Lot department of south-west France.
On arriving at Lacapelle-Marival the first thing you see is the castle on the edge of the town. The castle has two parts - the original donjon dating from the 13th century which is a large square building with a small tower at the top of each corner, and a further building used for living accommodation added three centuries later. The half-towers on the southern side of this later addition were originally part of a defensive wall that surrounded the castle.
The chateau is now used for exhibitions. You can also see the town hall here, an attractive stone building attached to the castle.
Opposite the north side of the castle is the Place du Fort, with the 15th century Church of Notre-Dame de l'Assomption standing on a raised area above one side of the square. Step inside the church to see the stained glass windows and a painting by Gamelin of the Assumption of the Virgin.
You can leave the original historic centre of the town through one of the original gateways, the Porte l'Arbol, through the ramparts at the northern end of the Place du Fort, next to a large round tower. This tower is the one that remains of seven that helped protect Lacapelle-Marival in the Middle Ages.
On passing through the gate you see an original 15th century market hall, with stone support pillars and impressive carpentry work in the roof.
The streets in this area of Lacapelle-Marival are easily explored, with several of the houses having interesting features.
If you leave the centre of Lacapelle-Marival towards the north there is a picturesque view across a small leisure lake, the Lac de Merival. You can walk around the edges of the lake.
The surrounding countryside is very picturesque, with the Causses de Quercy to the west and deep wooded valleys typical of this region to the east.
Among the many interesting places close to Lacapelle-Marival are Figeac itself, and several very attractive villages such as Cardaillac to the south-east and Autoire and Loubressac to the north-west - all three of these villages are classed among the 'most beautiful villages in France'.
Map of Lacapelle-Marival and places nearby
Visit near Lacapelle-Marival with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Lot
Address: Lacapelle-Marival, Figeac, Midi-Pyrenees, 46120, France || GPS: latitude 44.7297, longitude 1.9267
Plan your visit to Lacapelle-Marival, Lot
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Assier Chateau: national monument (7 km)
- Gouffre des Vitarelles: site of natural beauty (14 km)
- Figeac Hopital St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (16 km)
- Chateau Montal: national monument (16 km)
- Autoire: most beautiful village (16 km)
- Figeac: recommended detour (17 km)
- Loubressac: most beautiful village (18 km)
- Gouffre de Padirac: site of natural beauty (20 km)
- Castelnau-Bretenoux Chateau: national monument (20 km)
- Gréalou dolmen de Pech-Laglaire (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (22 km)
- Rocamadour: grand site of france (26 km)
- Rocamadour basilique Saint-Sauveur (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (26 km)
The French version of this page is at Lacapelle-Marival (Francais)