Eynesse, Gironde tourism & sightseeing
Visit Eynesse (Aquitaine, France)Photo Gallery
Eynesse is a small village to the west of the bastide town of Sainte-Foy-la-Grande, in the east of the Gironde department (hence east of Bordeaux).
Although there isn't a great deal to see here, a stop in Eynesse for a stroll is recommended when you are passing - there is a cafe, a small temple, a village church, and also a picturesque street of houses that runs down to the Dordogne river and nice views in both directions.
Note that here in Eynesse you are in the Gironde department to the south of the river, but the northern bank of the river is in the Dordogne department.
There are also two small museums in Eynesse village, one dedicated to the Burette (these are oil cans, with the museum having thousands of cans for all purposes, from olive oil dispensing to oil lamp fillers) and the other museum dedicated to old agricultural machinery and tools. Find them down the lane towards the river.
A scenic drive through Eynesse
I came across Eynesse because I was following the scenic drive that heads westwards from Sainte-Foy-la-Grande (along the D130) along the southern side of the Dordogne river,.
This scenic route has quite a few glimpses of the Dordogne river and passes through attractive countryside, eventually reaching the bridge at Pessac-sur-Dordogne. Only about 15 kilometres total distance and it makes for a nice drive or bike ride - a nice alternative to the busy road that follows the same route north of the river.
Particular local highlights include the Gardens at Sardy, where both formal and informal gardens run down the hill below an attractive manor house. The mosaics at Montcaret, an excavated roman villa that is a listed national monument, are just a few kilometres west of Eynesse.
Map of Eynesse and places nearby
Visit near Eynesse with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Gironde
Address: Eynesse, Sainte-Foy-la-Grande, Libourne, Aquitaine, 33220, France || GPS: latitude 44.826111, longitude 0.155278
Plan your visit to Eynesse, Gironde
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Jardins du Sardy: remarkable garden (5 km)
- Montcaret Archaeological site: national monument (8 km)
- Eglise de Saint Pierre (Petit-Palais-et-Cornemps): religious monument (24 km)
- Collégiale et chapelle de la Trinité (Saint-Emilion): religious monument (26 km)
- Saint-Emilion: heritage site (26 km)
- Parc et potager de Pouthet: remarkable garden (26 km)
- Bergerac: ville fleurie 4* (26 km)
- Jardins du château de Montréal: remarkable garden (31 km)
- Jardins de Beauchamp: remarkable garden (35 km)
- Jardin du cloître Notre-Dame: remarkable garden (35 km)
- Sauve-Majeure Abbey: national monument (37 km)
- La Sauve Majeure abbaye (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (37 km)
The French version of this page is at Eynesse (Francais)