Donzac, Tarn-et-Garonne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Donzac (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
Donzac is a village in the Tarn-et-Garonne department. It is in the Garonne valley on the left bank of the river. Donzac sits next to the border with Lot-et-Garonne and very close to Gers department.
It is close to the lovely village of Dunes and Auvillar which is one of France's 'most beautiful villages'.
Donzac has its roots in Gallo-Roman times and by the 12th century was an important trading point on the route between Aquitaine and Midi-Pyrenees.
The village of Donzac is built in a pleasant mix of brick and stone. Its mairie and church dominate the town along with the brick-built market hall opposite. The church has a 14th century, two storey, square bell-tower unique in the region. Down the hill from these is another church.
Also to see in Donzac is an ancient grain store and an ancient wash house (lavoir). This is where all communal washing was done in the village.
Whilst in Donzac you can visit a small museum, the Conservatoire des Métiers d'Autrefois, devoted to tools and information about work in past centuries. The museum has more than 20,000 exhibits to see including some particularly interesting exhibits linked to the wine industry of bygone days. Not suprising really given the importance of wine making in the area.
Nearby is the Lac des Sources where you can take a picnic and sit by the edge of the lake to enjoy it.
Places to Visit Nearby
Auvillar is one of France's classified "most beautiful villages" and has a very unusual circular market hall. It is certainly well worth a trip. As is the town of Moissac just a little further east. Moissac is home to a magnificent cloister that is said to be one of the most beautiful in the world.
The neighbouring village of Dunes seems to be a well kept secret. It has a particularly attractive medieval centre full of lovely arcaded buildings. One of its houses belonged to a family involved in plots and intriques surrounding the French Monarchy in the 16th century.
Map of Donzac and places nearby
Visit near Donzac with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Tarn-et-Garonne
Address: Donzac, Auvillar, Castelsarrasin, Midi-Pyrenees, 82340, France || GPS: latitude 44.110556, longitude 0.820833
Plan your visit to Donzac, Tarn-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Auvillar: most beautiful village (8 km)
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin): religious monument (12 km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac): religious monument (13 km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax): religious monument (17 km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (19 km)
- Gramont Chateau: national monument (20 km)
- Eglise de Sainte Marie (Aubiac): religious monument (21 km)
- Moissac abbatiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (21 km)
- Walibi Aquitaine: theme park (22 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech): religious monument (22 km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour): religious monument (23 km)
- Grottes de Fontirou: site of natural beauty (25 km)
The French version of this page is at Donzac (Francais)