Valence-d'Agen, Tarn-et-Garonne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Valence-d'Agen (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
Valence d'Agen is a market town in the Tarn-et-Garonne department in the Midi-Pyrenees region. It is 16km west of Moissac and 5km from Auvillar.
Without any major sights it is none the less a pleasant town with cafes and restaurants and a few shops.
Explore Valence d'Agen
Valence is a pleasant market town with no main sights but it has an attractive stone and brick market hall in the centre and surrounding this are some pleasant arcaded buildings built in a mix of stone and brick. Market day is Tuesday morning and takes place under the hall.
Worth looking out for in Valence are its three lavoirs (wash houses) and its fountains. Two of the lavoirs are quite unusual being round in shape rather than square.
One of the fountains is in the centre of town and Valence also has a long avenue shaded by trees and decorated with fountains. It makes a pleasant place for an early evening promenade.
Valence is on the 'Entre-deux-Mers' canal which links Bordeaux with Toulouse. Enjoy a promenade from the port along the canalside.
A high point in the Valence calender is the sound and light show called the 'Au Fil de l'Eau' which takes place in summer and tells the story of the canal and river. It takes place around the end of July/early August and takes place at the port of Valence.
Places to Visit Nearby
Moissac with its famous cloisters is nearby. The cloisters have 76 marble columns and are said to be one of the most beautiful in the world.
The "most beautiful village" of Auvillar is just 5km away. As well as being a beautiful village it has a very unusual circular market hall rather than the usual rectangular design.
Map of Valence-d'Agen and places nearby
Visit near Valence-d'Agen with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Tarn-et-Garonne
Address: Valence, Castelsarrasin, Midi-Pyrenees, 82400, France || GPS: latitude 44.1111, longitude 0.8903
Plan your visit to Valence-d'Agen, Tarn-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Auvillar: most beautiful village (5 km)
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin): religious monument (11 km)
- Moissac abbatiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (16 km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac): religious monument (18 km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour): religious monument (21 km)
- Gramont Chateau: national monument (22 km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax): religious monument (23 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech): religious monument (23 km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (24 km)
- Lauzerte: most beautiful village (26 km)
- Jardin du Pèlerin: remarkable garden (26 km)
- Eglise de Sainte Marie (Aubiac): religious monument (26 km)
Market days in Valence-d'Agen, France
Regular market(s) are held in Valence-d'Agen each Tuesday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Valence-d'Agen (Francais)