Caudecoste, Lot-et-Garonne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Caudecoste (Aquitaine, France)Photo Gallery
Caudecoste is a pleasant 13th century bastide town in the Lot-et-Garonne department on the border with Tarn-et-Garonne and also very close to the Gers department.
With roots in Gallo Roman times the village was originally much smaller with notables living in the village and peasant farmers living on the plains surrounding the village.
Always a little prone to flooding the area suffered a terrible flood in 1270 when the Garonne flooded its banks in what is thought to be its worst ever flood.
The village itself is situated higher than the surrounding plains and escaped the flooding but it was not big enough for all the farmers who no longer wanted to live on the flood-prone plains. A decision was made to increase the size of the village and the bastide village that you see today was built. It was built as a bastide with the grid-like pattern of construction bastides all share.
Much of the village today dates from these times though some date from the 17th century having been built following the siege of Caudecoste during which most of the population were massacred and some houses burnt in fires.
The houses in Caudecoste are a mix of stone houses and half-timber houses and around the main square, the Place des Cornieres, many of the buildings have attractive arcades. Around the outskirts of the village some vestiges of the original remparts remain and can be seen.
Places to visit nearby
The neighbouring village of Dunes is very attractive. Dunes and Caudecoste share a sad history of the war as 12 men were hung by the Nazis in the centre of Dunes, one of whom was a Caudecoste villager.
Map of Caudecoste and places nearby
Visit near Caudecoste with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Lot-et-Garonne
Address: Caudecoste, Astaffort, Agen, Aquitaine, 47220, France || GPS: latitude 44.1178, longitude 0.7375
Plan your visit to Caudecoste, Lot-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac): religious monument (6 km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax): religious monument (11 km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (14 km)
- Auvillar: most beautiful village (14 km)
- Eglise de Sainte Marie (Aubiac): religious monument (14 km)
- Walibi Aquitaine: theme park (15 km)
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin): religious monument (16 km)
- Gramont Chateau: national monument (20 km)
- Grottes de Fontirou: site of natural beauty (22 km)
- Lectoure: recommended detour (22 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech): religious monument (23 km)
- Jardin et arboretum de Coursiana: remarkable garden (24 km)
The French version of this page is at Caudecoste (Francais)