Sare tourism and travel guide
Visit Sare: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: Sare is one of several traditional Basque towns in the western Pyrenees, with lots of houses in the local architectural style
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Sare. For detailed visitor information see the Sare travel guide.
Sare is situated in the Pyrenees-Atlantiques department and Aquitaine region (now part of the region), in the south-west of France at 98 kilometres from Pau, the department capital (general information: Sare is 687 kilometres from Paris).
Attractions in Sare
The Rhune is a small Pyrenees mountain that you can go up in a scenic train - a nice way to enjoy the scenery.: La Rhune
Tourist classifications for Sare include "most beautiful village".
Sare, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Sare in .
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Pyrenees-Atlantiques
Map of places to visit near Sare
Markets in and near Sare
- Saint Jean de Luz: market Tuesday & Saturday & Friday (11km)
- Ciboure: market Sunday (11km)
- Urrugne: market Thursday (11km)
- Ustaritz: market Saturday (14km)
- Bidart: market Saturday (14km)
- Cambo-les-Bains: market Wednesday & Friday (16km)
- Hendaye: market Wednesday & Thursday & Sunday & Saturday (17km)
- Anglet: market Thursday & Sunday (19km)
- Bayonne: market Wednesday & Tuesday & Thursday & Saturday & Friday (22km)
- Boucau: market Saturday (25km)
More information about Sare, Aquitaine
Tourist attractions near Sare, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Sare.
- Bayonne cathédrale St Marie (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (21km)
- Porte St Jacques - St Jean Pied-de-Port (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (33km)
- Sorde l'Abbaye - abbaye St Jean (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (49km)
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
- Jardins de la villa Arnaga (15km)
- Parc du Sarrat (61km)
Protected historical centre (fr: secteur sauvegardé)
(see also historical French towns)
- Bayonne (22km)
Sites of natural beauty
- Vallée des Aldudes (27km)
- Marais d'Orx (35km)
- Forêt d'Iraty (53km)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Anglet (19km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Sare
from Pau (prefecture): 98 km
from Paris: 687 km
from Calais: 888 km
from Nice: 715 km
from Bordeaux: 188 km
from Strasbourg: 928 km
Sare is in the south-west of France. Most visitors fly into Biarritz airport (Bordeaux is another option). Allow at least 8 hours for the drive from the cross-channel ferries. For driving distances to Sare from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Sare