Sancerre tourism and travel guide
Visit Sancerre: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: The pretty village of Sancerre is best known for the famous wines of the same name produced nearby - and to be samlped in the village!
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Sancerre. For detailed visitor information see the Sancerre travel guide.
Sancerre is situated in the Cher department and Loire Valley region (now part of the Centre-Loire Valley region), in the center of France at 43 kilometres from Bourges, the department capital (general information: Sancerre is 173 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Sancerre include "recommended detour".
Sancerre, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Sancerre in Centre-Loire Valley.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Cher
Map of places to visit near Sancerre
Markets in and near Sancerre
- Saint-Satur: market Thursday (2km)
- Cosne-Cours-sur-Loire: market Wednesday & Sunday & Friday (11km)
- Vailly-sur-Sauldre: market Friday (20km)
- Henrichemont: market Wednesday (23km)
- Beaulieu-sur-Loire: market Wednesday (24km)
- Baugy: market Friday (29km)
- Chatillon-sur-Loire: market Thursday (30km)
- Aubigny-sur-Nere: market Saturday all day (35km)
- Briare: market Friday (37km)
- Saint-Fargeau: market Friday (39km)
More information about Sancerre, Loire Valley
Tourist attractions near Sancerre, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Sancerre.
Churches and religious monuments
- Eglise de Notre-Dame-du-Pré (Donzy) (21km)
- Eglise de Saint André (Jussy-Champagne) (41km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Plaimpied-Givaudins) (47km)
- Les Prés Fichaux (43km)
- Forgeneuve (45km)
Protected historical centre (fr: secteur sauvegardé)
(see also historical French towns)
- Bourges (43km)
Towns of Art and history
- Nevers (44km)
(recommended place to break a long journey)
- Pougues-les-Eaux (35km)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
Geography and distances
Distance to Sancerre
from Bourges (prefecture): 43 km
from Paris: 173 km
from Calais: 409 km
from Nice: 531 km
from Bordeaux: 382 km
from Strasbourg: 392 km
Sancerre is in the center of France. Most visitors fly into Paris and rent a car or drive from one of the channel ports such as Caen or Le Havre, a drive af about 2-3 hours. For driving distances to Sancerre from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Sancerre