Saint-Germain-de-Confolens, Charente tourism & sightseeing
Visit Saint-Germain-de-Confolens (Poitou-Charentes, France)
Saint-Germain-de-Confolens is a small village located at the confluence of the Vienne and Issoire rivers in the north-east of the Charente department (Poitou-Charentes region) to the north of Confolens. The village stands below a hill that is dominated by the two most important monuments in Saint-Germain-de-Confolens: the castle and the 12th century Church of Saint-Vincent.
When you arrive in Saint-Germain-de-Confolens, crossing the bridge over the river you have the village directly in front of you and up on the hill behind you can see both the chateau and the large church.
The fortified castle of Saint-Germain-de-Confolens, although in ruins, still has a substantial amount to see - especially the two large circular towers, with the remains of the main castle building in between them. The castle dates from the 14th-15th centuries and is built on the site of a 12th century fortress.
The Church of Saint Vincent was originally the chapel of the chateau. It is built in the form of a Greek cross and is a very substantial building.
Above the castle, be sure to see the views from the Bellevue Cross which looks out on the river Issoire and the lovely wooded countryside through which the river flows. Then head down to the bridges across the two rivers to see the views back up to the castle and church.
A medieval bridge links Saint Germain and Saint Radagonde over the Vienne river. Unfortunately the bridge has been spoiled when it was enlarged in the 19th century.
Places near Saint Germain de Confolens
The dolmen of Sainte-Madelaine is on an island on the River Vienne nearby, and there is also a barrage on the River Vienne which was built in 1973.
You will also want to explore the village of Confolens just a few kilometres to the south of here during your visit.
Note: photos of Saint-Germain-de-Confolens on this page are copyright
Map of Saint-Germain-de-Confolens and places nearby
Visit near Saint-Germain-de-Confolens with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Charente
Address: Saint-Germain-de-Confolens, Confolens-Sud, Confolens, Poitou-Charentes, 16500, France || GPS: latitude 46.05306, longitude 0.68528
Plan your visit to Saint-Germain-de-Confolens, Charente
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Confolens: town of art and history (4 km)
- Abbatiale de Saint Pierre (Lesterps): religious monument (9 km)
- Abbaye de la Réau (Saint-Martin-l'Ars): religious monument (19 km)
- Eglise de Saint Pierre (Chatain): religious monument (20 km)
- Site Corot: site of natural beauty (23 km)
- Abbaye Bénédictine (Charroux): religious monument (24 km)
- Abbey Saint-Sauveur de Charroux: national monument (24 km)
- Abbaye de Saint-Amand (Saint-Junien): religious monument (25 km)
- Eglise de Genouillé (Genouille): religious monument (28 km)
- Eglise d'Usson de Poitou (Usson-du-Poitou): religious monument (28 km)
- Bellac: village d'etape (29 km)
- Parc et jardin de l’Abrègement: remarkable garden (32 km)
The French version of this page is at Saint-Germain-de-Confolens (Francais)