Roquecor, Tarn-et-Garonne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Roquecor (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
Roquecor is a small "perched village" (a village high on a hill) to the south-east of Villeneuve-sur-Lot and in the west of the Tarn-et-Garonne department of France.
France This Way comment: it is true that Roquecor is almost a 'one street' village but there are lots of nice houses as well as good views across the countryside so we recommend you visit for a stroll when you are in the region.
The main centre of the village includes the church, with a nice rose window, a cafe, and a war memorial - full credit to the village for its war memorial which is painted to be a realistic soldier and very well maintained.
From here you can wlk along the main street passed a good number of attractive stone houses, some preserving their original arcades. Several of the houses have photos of what they looked like in the past, helping to recall the history of Roquecor and you will notice that many of the houses appear unchanged over the years.
The mairie is also close to the centre of the village and a curious building: from afar you might briefly think it is a medieval tower but as you get closer you start to think it is not quite right! In fact it is a 19th century building broadly based on a medieval tower...
Behind the mairie there is a viewpoint across the valley and fields below. The town have built an attractive viewing platform including a large metal rectangle that frames the view - well done to whoever came up with the idea, it works very well!
Still in the village centre you can follow a path to the Roc de Nobio. This is a small troglodyte site below a cliff, where it is said that long ago a large boulder fell during some wedding celebrations, sealing forever the newly-wed couple and their friends in a cave.
If you follow the road out of Roquecor towards the north-east you can see a traditional lavoir, now recently renovated.
Map of Roquecor and places nearby
Visit near Roquecor with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Tarn-et-Garonne
Address: Roquecor, Montaigu-de-Quercy, Castelsarrasin, Midi-Pyrenees, 82150, France || GPS: latitude 44.322778, longitude 0.944167
Plan your visit to Roquecor, Tarn-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour): religious monument (3 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech): religious monument (10 km)
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin): religious monument (13 km)
- Jardin du Pèlerin: remarkable garden (17 km)
- Lauzerte: most beautiful village (17 km)
- Grottes de Fontirou: site of natural beauty (21 km)
- Pujols: most beautiful village (22 km)
- Moissac abbatiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (27 km)
- Monflanquin: most beautiful village (27 km)
- Auvillar: most beautiful village (28 km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (29 km)
- Eglise de Sainte Livrade (Sainte-Livrade-sur-Lot): religious monument (29 km)
The French version of this page is at Roquecor (Francais)