Brassac, Tarn-et-Garonne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Brassac (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
Brassac is situated in north-western Tarn-et-Garonne near the border with Lot-et-Garonne, in the region known as the 'Pays Agenais'.
France This Way comment: the village of Brassac is tiny but it is home to both a chateau and a church both of which are listed historic monuments so a small detour is recommended if you are nearby
Note: the information below refers to Brassac in the Tarn-et-Garonne department, not the village of the same name to the east in the Tarn department: see Brassac - Tarn.
The village is set on raised ground and so commands good views of the surrounding countryside
The Church of Saint-Severin in the centre of Brassac was largely destroyed during the Hundred Years War but has been re-built since, particularly during the 16th and 19th centuries. The carved entranceway is perhaps the highlight of this quaint church.
The Château de Brassac is also a listed historic monument. It was built in the 12th century and modified up until the 16th century. The castle started out as a fortified house with a moat and defensive walls and gradually developed its more fortress-like appearance over the 13-16th centuries.
You can learn more about the Chateau de Brassac including their opening hours here (and our thanks also to the Chateau de Brassac for supplying photos of the castle for our photo gallery!)
Exploring the region around Brassac
This quiet region of rolling agricultural landscapes has an incomparable charm, where numerous small villages and hamlets sit largely undisturbed by tourism - a great region for a slower pace of travel while you absorb the atmosphere, and plenty of opportunities to discover the rural France of times gone by. Certainly when we visited Brassac there wasn't another soul to be seen - resident or tourist!
Map of Brassac and places nearby
Visit near Brassac with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Tarn-et-Garonne
Address: Brassac, Bourg-de-Visa, Castelsarrasin, Midi-Pyrenees, 82190, France || GPS: latitude 44.2156, longitude 0.973611
Plan your visit to Brassac, Tarn-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin): religious monument (7 km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour): religious monument (9 km)
- Lauzerte: most beautiful village (14 km)
- Jardin du Pèlerin: remarkable garden (14 km)
- Moissac abbatiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (15 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech): religious monument (16 km)
- Auvillar: most beautiful village (17 km)
- Grottes de Fontirou: site of natural beauty (25 km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac): religious monument (26 km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (28 km)
- Pujols: most beautiful village (30 km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax): religious monument (30 km)
The French version of this page is at Brassac (Francais)