Marthon, Charente tourism & sightseeing
Visit Marthon (Poitou-Charentes, France)
Marthon is a village to the east of the Charente department between Angouleme and Nontron (Dordogne) on the quiet banks of the river Bandiat.
There are several small highlights to enjoy in the village as you explore Marthon, including those mentioned below and small architectural details such as a fountain, a well, an old stone archway, and some attractive houses.
Tour de Breuil
The most important monument here, and the one that dominates the rooftops of Marthon, is the castle keep - the Donjon de Marthon (also called the Tour du Breuil).
Dating from the 12th century, it is now only the lower part of the original sturdy square tower that had three towers and a small section of wall that remains of the original castle but the donjon still dominates Marthon village.
You can reach the castle via the roman style chapel-doorway below the donjon - this is a tall building that combines a chapel on the upper storey and the gateway to the castle below and is built into the defensive walls around the castle.
Chateaux in Marthon
Two other (more recent) castles can also be seen at Marthon: the Chateau Neuf and the Chateau du Colombier, with both castles incorporating several different architectural styles. The Chateau Neuf dates from the 16th century, although it was much modified and extended in the 20th century, and the Chateau du Colombier is now a hotel.
Church of Saint-Martin
Another point of interest is the roman style Church of Saint-Martin - note in particular the belltower with arched openings and the statue in a niche above the entrance. Note the unusual arches inset in the walls - these are called 'enfeu' and are tombs of local dignitaries that were originally buried in the church walls.
This part of Charente is very quiet and visited for its peaceful countryside and unspoiled villages rather than its important monuments. You will want to visit the town and castle at La Rochefoucauld to the north of Marthon if you are staying in the region. Of course, Angouleme is only about 25 kilometres west of here and also merits to be explored.
Map of Marthon and places nearby
Visit near Marthon with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Charente
Address: Marthon, Montbron, Angoulême, Poitou-Charentes, 16380, France || GPS: latitude 45.6128, longitude 0.4453
Plan your visit to Marthon, Charente
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Grotte de Montgaudier: site of natural beauty (6 km)
- La Rochefoucauld: village d'etape (15 km)
- Nontron: recommended detour (19 km)
- Eglise de Saint Vincent (Puymoyen): religious monument (20 km)
- Cathédrale Saint Pierre (Angouleme): religious monument (23 km)
- Angouleme: town of art and history (24 km)
- Eglise de Saint Jean-Baptiste (Coulgens): religious monument (26 km)
- Logis de Forge: remarkable garden (26 km)
- Eglise de Saint Michel (Saint-Michel): religious monument (26 km)
- Eglise de Saint Jean-Baptiste (La Couronne): religious monument (27 km)
- Perigord-Limousin: regional natural parc (28 km)
- Eglise de Notre Dame (Voulgezac): religious monument (28 km)
The French version of this page is at Marthon (Francais)