Fort-Mahon-Plage, Somme: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Fort-Mahon-Plage (Picardy, France)Photo Gallery
Fort-Mahon-Plage is a coastal resort situated on the Picardy coast in northern France, between the Somme Bay and the Bay of Authie.
The resort of Fort-Mahon-Plage has one of the finest beaches in this region of France - long, sandy and clean - which have made it a very popular destination. Already popular with French and northern Europeans, the town is also easily accessible from the UK, so can get rather busy during the summer months.
As well as most beach activities you can think of, from kite-flying to beach ball, you can also try sand-yachting, sailing or horse-riding on the sands and their are plenty of opportunities for hiking...or you can just sit sun-bathing if you are here to relax! The main part of the beach is supervised by lifeguards.
The main 'town' is pretty much one long street, the Avenue de la Plage, bustling with holidaymakers, and cafes and shops to cater to their needs, and very clean and pleasant.
The town has plenty of restaurants, hotels and accommodation options but there is little in the way of historical interest, with the focus of the resort unashamedly sea-facing.
You will also find various other sports facilities in Fort-Mahon-Plage such as golf, tennis and mini golf if you feel like escaping from the beach for a while
Fort-Mahon-Plage is also well known for the extensive sand dunes along the coast here, an unusual and beautiful environment that is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna.
Away from the beach
The town is very close to the Somme Bay, a large coastal regions known for its wildlife and birds.
Another natural environment worth exploring nearby is the marshes of Authie Bay, also an almost unique natural environment in the region and very popular with hikers, while the ornithological Parc of Marquenterre is also close to hand.
Photos of Fort-Mahon-Plage
Click any picture to start the gallery
Map of Fort-Mahon-Plage and places nearby
Visit near Fort-Mahon-Plage with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Somme
Address: Fort-Mahon-Plage, Rue, Abbeville, Picardy, 80790, France || GPS: latitude 50.341944, longitude 1.569722
Plan your visit to Fort-Mahon-Plage, Somme
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Baie d'Authie: site of natural beauty (5 km)
- Parc du Marquenterre: site of natural beauty (9 km)
- Parc Bagatelle: theme park (10 km)
- Beffroi de Rue (Belfries of Belgium and France): heritage site (10 km)
- Réserve naturelle de la Baie de Somme: site of natural beauty (11 km)
- Pointe du Hourdel: site of natural beauty (14 km)
- Baie de Somme: grand site of france (15 km)
- Saint-Josse: ville fleurie 4* (15 km)
- Saint-Valery-sur-Somme: recommended detour (18 km)
- Herbarium des remparts: remarkable garden (18 km)
- Jardins de Valloires: remarkable garden (18 km)
- Montreuil: recommended detour (19 km)
The French version of this page is at Fort-Mahon-Plage (Francais)