Charmant, Charente tourism & sightseeing
Visit Charmant (Poitou-Charentes, France)Photo Gallery
Charmant is a small village in the Charente countryside to the south of Angouleme and west of Villebois-Lavalette.
France This Way comment: although the village is small, it is a pleasure to take a stroll around Charmant (the name of the village translates as 'charming') taking in the atmosphere and admiring both the setting and village centre.
There are a couple of notable sights to enjoy here, the most important of which is the Church of Notre-Dame, a picturesque church surrounded by ancient linden trees. The roman style church dates from the 12th-13th centuries, although the octagonal belltower is a 19th century reconstruction of the original, which was destroyed by a storm.
Inside the church you can see some wall murals and attractive capitals, while next to the church there is a pretty garden.
The Chateau du Charmant, while much less ostentatious than many castles, has an impressive frontage with ornate stone doorway and windows, and the priory is another notable historical building in the village. The chateau is a private building and cannot be visited.
Charmant is also the source of the river Boeme, a small river that emerges at the bottom of the hill and then passes through Mouthiers-sur-Boeme before joining the Charente river.
Charmant is probably at its most lively in early September when it has a horse festival every year.
Close to Charmant
There are several small villages and castles to explore in the quiet countryside around Charmant village, such as at Mouthiers-sur-Boeme and Villebois-Lavalette. The quiet roads and gently rolling countryside also make this an excellent region for cycling holidays.
Angouleme is an attractive town and if you are in the area in September check to see if you have the possibility of going to the excellent vintage car rally which takes place through the streets of the town during one weekend each September.
Map of Charmant and places nearby
Visit near Charmant with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Charente
Address: Charmant, Villebois-Lavalette, Angoulême, Poitou-Charentes, 16320, France || GPS: latitude 45.4972, longitude 0.1847
Plan your visit to Charmant, Charente
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Eglise de Notre Dame (Voulgezac): religious monument (5 km)
- Logis de Forge: remarkable garden (8 km)
- Eglise de Saint Vincent (Puymoyen): religious monument (13 km)
- Eglise de Saint Jean-Baptiste (La Couronne): religious monument (14 km)
- Eglise de Saint Estèphe (Roullet-Saint-Estephe): religious monument (14 km)
- Eglise de Saint Cybard (Roullet-Saint-Estephe): religious monument (14 km)
- Cathédrale Saint Pierre (Angouleme): religious monument (17 km)
- Eglise de Saint Michel (Saint-Michel): religious monument (17 km)
- Eglise de Notre Dame (Trois-Palis): religious monument (19 km)
- Angouleme: town of art and history (19 km)
- Aubeterre-sur-Dronne: most beautiful village (25 km)
- Jardin du Chaigne: remarkable garden (27 km)
The French version of this page is at Charmant (Francais)