Mouthiers-sur-Boeme, Charente: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Mouthiers-sur-Boeme (Poitou-Charentes, France)Photo Gallery
Mouthiers-sur-Boeme is a village to the south of Angouleme in the Charente department of France (Poitou-Charentes region). It is a scenic village with a few notable highlights to discover in a site that has been inhabited since neolithic times.
The Church of Saint Hilaire is an attractive roman style church that dates from the 12th century and is notable for its hexagonal tower with stone arched openings, while the Chateau de la Rochandry is a scenic castle (it dates largely from the 19th century, at which time it was built on the site of a much older castle).
Other notable monuments in Mouthiers-sur-Boeme include the 16th century turretted Logis de Forge and the grand 16th century townhouse called the Logis des Gagniers.
The traditional washhouses on the river can also be seen (moved to their current location in the 19th century, when the course of the Boeme river was disrupted by the construction of the railway viaduct in 1840-1850).
See also the roundabout called 'peuplier major' which features a recent bronze statue of three horses on a rock, the side of which feautures a copy of the engraving from the cave at Chaire a Calvin.
There is a prehistoric cave in a cliff at Mouthiers-sur-Boeme called Chaire a Calvin with an engraving of a cow and horses dating back about 20,000 years.
The 15th century Logis de Forge and surrounding 18th century hamlet has in the past been a flour mill, an iron mill and a walnut oil mill. Surrounding a large pond the logis is now home to a contemporary garden which has been classed as a 'Remarkable garden' of France. Water has a large influence in the garden and there are various ponds and water channels at the centre of the planting.
The quiet countryside around the town contains several peaceful villages where it is pleasant to take a stroll and enthusiasts of roman style architecture will discover numerous picturesque churches in the hamlets and villages of the region. Charmant and Villebois-Lavalette are both close by and pleasant to visit if you have the time and inclination for a quiet exploration.
Map of Mouthiers-sur-Boeme and places nearby
Visit near Mouthiers-sur-Boeme with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Charente
Address: Mouthiers-sur-Boëme, Blanzac-Porcheresse, Angoulême, Poitou-Charentes, 16440, France || GPS: latitude 45.5556, longitude 0.1242
Plan your visit to Mouthiers-sur-Boeme, Charente
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Logis de Forge: remarkable garden
- Eglise de Notre Dame (Voulgezac): religious monument (5 km)
- Eglise de Saint Jean-Baptiste (La Couronne): religious monument (6 km)
- Eglise de Saint Estèphe (Roullet-Saint-Estephe): religious monument (7 km)
- Eglise de Saint Cybard (Roullet-Saint-Estephe): religious monument (7 km)
- Eglise de Saint Vincent (Puymoyen): religious monument (8 km)
- Eglise de Saint Michel (Saint-Michel): religious monument (10 km)
- Cathédrale Saint Pierre (Angouleme): religious monument (11 km)
- Eglise de Notre Dame (Trois-Palis): religious monument (11 km)
- Angouleme: town of art and history (13 km)
- Jardin du Chaigne: remarkable garden (22 km)
- La Rochefoucauld: village d'etape (29 km)
The French version of this page is at Mouthiers-sur-Boeme (Francais)