Vezelay tourism and travel guide
Visit Vezelay: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: Even if it didn't have one of the most famous abbeys in France, Vezelay village would attract a great deal of visitors
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Vezelay. For detailed visitor information see the Vezelay travel guide.
Vezelay is situated in the Yonne department and Burgundy region (now part of the Burgundy-Franche-Comté region), in the eastern-center of France at 40 kilometres from Auxerre, the department capital (general information: Vezelay is 186 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Vezelay include "heritage site" and "secteur sauvegarde".
Vezelay, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Vezelay in Burgundy-Franche-Comté.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Yonne
Map of places to visit near Vezelay
Markets in and near Vezelay
- Avallon: market Saturday (13km)
- Clamecy: market Saturday (17km)
- Vermenton: market Friday (22km)
- Corbigny: market Friday (24km)
- Montsauche-les-Settons: market Thursday all day (35km)
- Auxerre: market Tuesday & Sunday & Friday (39km)
- Chablis: market Sunday (39km)
- Saulieu: market Saturday (42km)
- Saint-Sauveur-en-Puisaye: market Wednesday (44km)
- Toucy: market Saturday (45km)
More information about Vezelay, Burgundy
Tourist attractions near Vezelay, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Vezelay.
- Vézelay basilica St Madeleine (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (1km)
- Asquins église St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (2km)
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
- Noyers-sur-Serein (32km)
Regional Natural Parcs
- Morvan (34km)
Churches and religious monuments
- Eglise de Saint Barthélémy (Cervon) (25km)
- Prieuré de Saint Révérien (Saint-Reverien) (33km)
- Basilique de Saint Andoche (Saulieu) (42km)
- Abbaye de Fontenay (Montbard) (48km)
- Parc de Saint-Léger (37km)
- Jardin du moulin de Athie (40km)
- Jardin de la Chaux (44km)
Protected historical centre (fr: secteur sauvegardé)
(see also historical French towns)
Geography and distances
Distance to Vezelay
from Auxerre (prefecture): 40 km
from Paris: 186 km
from Calais: 411 km
from Nice: 500 km
from Bordeaux: 442 km
from Strasbourg: 323 km
Vezelay is in the eastern-center of France. Most visitors fly into Paris orly or Charles de Gaulle airports and rent a car or drive from a channel ferry port - allow about 5 - 6 hours driving time. For driving distances to Vezelay from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Vezelay