Corbigny, Nievre tourism & sightseeing
Visit Corbigny (Burgundy, France)Photo Gallery
Corbigny is in the Nièvre department of Burgundy, to the south-east of Clamecy. A quiet town, it merits an amble if you are exploring this quiet part of Burgundy.
The 'highlight' of the town is Corbigny Abbey, an 18th century abbey that plays host to a music festival during the summer. Work started on the abbey in 1754 but was stopped by the revolution - since then it has had a wide number of uses from school to local cultural centre.
There is also a church dating from the 16th century - the Church of Saint-Seine - in the style known as 'flamboyant gothic' (although the church is less exciting in appearance than the name might suggest!), which contains several notable artefacts such as painted wooden statue of Saints Augustin and Seine and two baptismal fonts. There are also a sprinkling of attractive older houses to discover.
As well as the town centre you can take a promenade along the banks of the river Anguison in the centre of Corbigny.
Above the town you can also see the 'Tuilerie de la Chapelle de Sarre' - an 18th century centre for tile production, which includes a drying room with impressive carpentry work in the roof.
You might also see the 1930's monument to those who died in an air crash at Corbigny, an imposing structure of four square columns that stretches 20 metres towards the sky.
France This Way comment: it is true that a visit to Corbigny will not detain you very long, but deserves a visit if you are in the region exploring the Morvan area.
Corbigny styles itself as gateway to the Morvan Regional Parc, an unspoiled region of rolling countryside and small villages.
Corbigny castles: there are several interesting castle tucked away in the countryside around Corbigny, including Chitry Castle, Lantilly Castle and Villemolin Castle.
Map of Corbigny and places nearby
Visit near Corbigny with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Nievre
Address: Corbigny, Clamecy, Burgundy, 58800, France || GPS: latitude 47.2575, longitude 3.68417
Plan your visit to Corbigny, Nievre
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Eglise de Saint Barthélémy (Cervon): religious monument (6 km)
- Prieuré de Saint Révérien (Saint-Reverien): religious monument (15 km)
- Parc et jardin du château du Chatillon en Bazois: remarkable garden (23 km)
- Vezelay: heritage site (24 km)
- Vézelay basilica St Madeleine (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (24 km)
- Asquins église St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (26 km)
- Clamecy: secteur sauvegarde (26 km)
- Jardin du château de Limanton: remarkable garden (30 km)
- Morvan: regional natural parc (31 km)
- Parc de Saint-Léger: remarkable garden (35 km)
- Jardin de la Chaux: remarkable garden (38 km)
- Basilique de Saint Andoche (Saulieu): religious monument (41 km)
Market days in Corbigny, France
Regular market(s) are held in Corbigny each Friday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Corbigny (Francais)