Lyon tourism and travel guide
Booking.com: best prices
Visit Lyon: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: Lyon has all the impressive buildings and monuments, museums, shops and restaurants that you would expect from one of the most important towns in France.
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Lyon. For detailed visitor information see the Lyon travel guide.
Lyon is situated in the Rhone department and Rhone-Alpes region (now part of the Auvergne Rhône-Alpes region), in the eastern-center of France - it is the prefecture (capital) of the Rhone department (general information: Lyon is 391 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Lyon include "secteur sauvegarde", "heritage site", "aquarium" and "zoo or wildlife park". It is unusual for a town to have 4 awards, which indicates how important Lyon is as a tourist destination!
Lyon, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Lyon in Auvergne Rhône-Alpes.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Rhone
Map of places to visit near Lyon
Markets in and near Lyon
Market days in Lyon: weekly market: every day except Monday;
- Lyon: market every day except Monday (0km)
- Caluire-et-Cuire: market Thursday & Saturday (4km)
- Ecully: market Thursday & Saturday (5km)
- La Mulatiere: market Tuesday & Friday (5km)
- Oullins: market Tuesday & Thursday (6km)
- Saint-Fons: market Tuesday & Saturday (7km)
- Bron: market Tuesday & Saturday & Monday & Friday (7km)
- Pierre-Benite: market Wednesday & Sunday (7km)
- Rillieux-la-Pape: market Wednesday & Sunday & Friday (7km)
- Decines-Charpieu: market Tuesday & Sunday & Friday (9km)
More information about Lyon, Rhone-Alpes
Tourist attractions near Lyon, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Lyon.
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
- Trevoux (20km)
- Cremieu (32km)
- Saint-Symphorien-sur-Coise (33km)
- Chatillon-sur-Chalaronne (40km)
- Saint-Galmier (45km)
Regional Natural Parcs
- Pilat (46km)
Churches and religious monuments
- Eglise Saint-Jean-Baptiste (Lyon) (1km)
- Abbaye Saint Martin d'Ainey (Lyon) (2km)
- Parc de Gerland (1km)
- Parc de la Tête d'Or (2km)
- Jardins du Château de Saint-Bernard (23km)
- Parc du château de Laye (34km)
Sites of natural beauty
- Laboratoire d’écologie des hydrosystèmes naturels et anthropisés (3km)
- Grand parc de Miribel-Jonage (9km)
- Oeillon Crest (45km)
- Perdrix Crest (48km)
Towns of Art and history
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Ecully (5km)
- Chaponnay (17km)
- Saint-Vulbas (36km)
Zoo and/or wildlife park
- Parc animalier de Courzieu (19km)
- Parc zoologique de Saint-Martin-la-Plaine (31km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Lyon
from Lyon (prefecture): 1 km
from Paris: 391 km
from Calais: 617 km
from Nice: 299 km
from Bordeaux: 436 km
from Strasbourg: 383 km
For driving distances to Lyon from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
We have 13 other places listed as being close (less than 6 kilometres from Lyon): Bron, Caluire-et-Cuire, Champagne-Au-Mont-d'Or, Ecully, Francheville, La Mulatiere, Oullins, Rillieux-la-Pape, Saint-Cyr-Au-Mont-d'Or, Saint-Didier-Au-Mont-d'Or, Sainte-Foy-les-Lyon, Tassin-la-Demi-Lune and Villeurbanne.
This page in French: Visiter Lyon