Le Puy-en-Velay tourism and travel guide
Visit Le Puy-en-Velay: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: The town of Le Puy-en-Velay is very interesting to visit and an important pilgrimage town, as seen in its many religious monuments and statues.
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Le Puy-en-Velay. For detailed visitor information see the Le Puy-en-Velay travel guide.
Le Puy-en-Velay is situated in the Haute-Loire department and Auvergne region (now part of the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region), in the southern-centre of France - it is the prefecture (capital) of the Haute-Loire department (general information: Le Puy-en-Velay is 440 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Le Puy-en-Velay include "recommended detour", "secteur sauvegarde" and "town of art and history". It is unusual for a town to have 3 awards, which indicates how important Le Puy-en-Velay is as a tourist destination!
Le Puy-en-Velay, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Le Puy-en-Velay in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Haute-Loire
Map of places to visit near Le Puy-en-Velay
Markets in and near Le Puy-en-Velay
Market days in Le Puy-en-Velay: weekly market: Wednesday & Saturday;
- Le Puy-en-Velay: market Wednesday & Saturday (0km)
- Chadrac: market Sunday (2km)
- Brives-Charensac: market Friday (2km)
- Polignac: market Wednesday (4km)
- Coubon: market Sunday (5km)
- Blavozy: market Sunday (7km)
- Lantriac: market Sunday (10km)
- Rosieres: market Saturday (13km)
- Saint-Julien-Chapteuil: market Monday (13km)
- Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille: market Tuesday (14km)
More information about Le Puy-en-Velay, Auvergne
Tourist attractions near Le Puy-en-Velay, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Le Puy-en-Velay.
- Le Puy-en-Velay cathédrale Notre-Dame (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (0km)
- Le Puy-en-Velay Hotel-Dieu St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (1km)
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
- Vals-les-Bains (56km)
Regional Natural Parcs
- Monts d'Ardeche (48km)
Churches and religious monuments
- Prieuré de Saint Julien (Saint-Julien-Chapteuil) (13km)
- Eglise de Saint Georges (Saint-Paulien) (14km)
- Abbaye Saint-Andre (Lavaudieu) (48km)
- Basilique de Saint Julien (Brioude) (48km)
- Eglise de Notre Dame de Mailhat (Lamontgie) (62km)
- Jardin de l’écomusée (39km)
Sites of natural beauty
- Cascade de la Beaume (11km)
- Lac du Bouchet (17km)
- Mont Gerbier de Jonc (34km)
- Cascade du Ray-Pic (41km)
- Mont Mouchet (41km)
Zoo and/or wildlife park
- Réserve de bisons d'Europe de Sainte-Eulalie (42km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Le Puy-en-Velay
from Le Puy-en-Velay (prefecture): 0 km
from Paris: 440 km
from Calais: 674 km
from Nice: 307 km
from Bordeaux: 352 km
from Strasbourg: 491 km
For driving distances to Le Puy-en-Velay from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
We have 11 other places listed as being close (less than kilometres from ): Aiguilhe, Arsac-en-Velay, Brives-Charensac, Ceyssac, Chadrac, Chaspinhac, Coubon, Espaly-Saint-Marcel, Le Monteil, Polignac and Vals-Pres-le-Puy.
This page in French: Visiter Le Puy-en-Velay