Auxerre tourism and travel guide
Visit Auxerre: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: With its cathedral and churches, and extensive historic centre with half-timbered houses and an imposing belltower Auxerre is a very interesting town to visit
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Auxerre. For detailed visitor information see the Auxerre travel guide.
Auxerre is situated in the Yonne department and Burgundy region (now part of the Burgundy-Franche-Comté region), in the eastern-center of France - it is the prefecture (capital) of the Yonne department (general information: Auxerre is 149 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Auxerre include "secteur sauvegarde" and "town of art and history".
Auxerre, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Auxerre in Burgundy-Franche-Comté.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Yonne
Map of places to visit near Auxerre
Markets in and near Auxerre
Market days in Auxerre: weekly market: Tuesday & Sunday & Friday;
- Auxerre: market Tuesday & Sunday & Friday (0km)
- Chablis: market Sunday (17km)
- Aillant-sur-Tholon: market Tuesday (19km)
- Vermenton: market Friday (19km)
- Migennes: market Thursday (19km)
- Toucy: market Saturday (22km)
- Joigny: market Wednesday & Saturday (25km)
- Saint-Florentin: market Monday (26km)
- Tonnerre: market Saturday (31km)
- Saint-Julien-du-Sault: market Sunday (34km)
More information about Auxerre, Burgundy
Tourist attractions near Auxerre, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Auxerre.
- Asquins église St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (37km)
- Vézelay basilica St Madeleine (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (39km)
- Vezelay (39km)
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
- Noyers-sur-Serein (33km)
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
- Joigny (32km)
Churches and religious monuments
- Eglise de Saint Martial (Seignelay) (12km)
- Abbaye de Pontigny (Pontigny) (17km)
- Jardins du manoir du Grand Courtoiseau (47km)
Protected historical centre (fr: secteur sauvegardé)
(see also historical French towns)
- Clamecy (37km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Auxerre
from Auxerre (prefecture): 1 km
from Paris: 149 km
from Calais: 372 km
from Nice: 538 km
from Bordeaux: 458 km
from Strasbourg: 322 km
Auxerre is in the eastern-center of France. Most visitors fly into Paris orly or Charles de Gaulle airports and rent a car or drive from a channel ferry port - allow about 5 - 6 hours driving time. For driving distances to Auxerre from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Auxerre