Beaumont-de-Lomagne, Tarn-et-Garonne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Beaumont-de-Lomagne (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
Beaumont-de-Lomagne is in the department of Tarn-et-Garonne close to two of the most beautiful villages of France: Sarrant at 13 kilometres and Auvillar at 22 kilometres. It is a bastide town built in an attractive mix of brick and stone and dating back to the 13th century.
Exploring Beaumont de Lomagne
The town of Beaumont-de-Lomagne was founded in the 13th century and its main square, the Place Gambetta, is still dominated by a large wooden market hall built in the 14th century. Surrounding the market hall are attractive medieval buildings built of brick or stone and some of them with attractive arcades.
France This Way comment: every Saturday morning the weekly market takes place under cover of this large open-sided hall and this is the most lively time to visit the town if possible.
Near to the central square is the large Gothic church of Beaumont-de-Lomagne and its octagonal bell-tower. Inside the church is a large organ which is a classified 'Historic Monument'. Around the Place Gambetta and in the surrounding streets there are a number of particularly noteworthy buildings:
- the Hotel Toureilh is now home to the mairie and was built in the 17th century
- the Hotel du Ruble on Rue Fermet has a facade typical of the 17th century
- the Maison dit de Jean d'Armagnac has a lovely facade with a criss-cross wooden pattern built into it
You will also see the Hotel dit de Chartreuse with its large lumps of stone to protect it from the horses and carts in the streets and the Hotel Vernhes which has large lumps of stone sticking out from the building to help people to mount their horses.
The Hotel Pierre de Fermat on rue Fermat is now home to the Beaumont-de-Lomagne tourist office but was the birthplace of the famous mathemetician Pierre Fermat. Its tower houses an exhibition of mathematical games and enigmas. Elsewhere in the Hotel Fermat there are two large 15th century fireplaces and a ceiling with the remains of some frescos and you can also get a good view across the town from here.
Places to Visit Nearby
Close to Beaumont-de-Lomagne you can visit two of the 'most beautiful villages in France' at Sarrant and Auvillar. The village of Sarrant is built in an unusual circular formation and Auvillar has an unusual circular market hall at the centre of its main square.
Map of Beaumont-de-Lomagne and places nearby
Visit near Beaumont-de-Lomagne with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Tarn-et-Garonne
Address: Beaumont-de-Lomagne, Castelsarrasin, Midi-Pyrenees, 82500, France || GPS: latitude 43.8839, longitude 0.9892
Plan your visit to Beaumont-de-Lomagne, Tarn-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Gramont Chateau: national monument (19 km)
- Auvillar: most beautiful village (22 km)
- Jardin et parc du château de Larra: remarkable garden (25 km)
- Moissac abbatiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (26 km)
- Lectoure: recommended detour (30 km)
- Parc du château de Merville: remarkable garden (31 km)
- Montauban: secteur sauvegarde (33 km)
- Forêt de Bouconne: site of natural beauty (33 km)
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin): religious monument (37 km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac): religious monument (38 km)
- La Romieu Collegiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (41 km)
- Jardin et arboretum de Coursiana: remarkable garden (41 km)
Market days in Beaumont-de-Lomagne, France
Regular market(s) are held in Beaumont-de-Lomagne each Saturday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Beaumont-de-Lomagne (Francais)