Bardigues, Tarn-et-Garonne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Bardigues (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
Bardigues is a small village in the Tarn-et-Garonne deparment of the Midi-Pyrenees region. It is close to the most beautiful village of Auvillar and the town of Moissac with its lovely cloister.
Bardigues is a small village whose church unusually sits at the bottom of the village and then its streets wind uphill from here to the top of the village.
Its houses are an attractive mix of golden stone and colombage (half-timber) with pretty wooden shutters and the lower part of the village is edged with plane trees.
The church was built in the 19th century and contains a painting offered by the King in 1843 and another offered by the emperor in 1856.
You can see the remains of one of the telegraph towers that linked Bordeaux to Avignon by telegram. These used a system of semaphore to communicate from one tower to the next along the line. The towers were called 'Tour Chappe' after their inventor Claude Chappe.
A very good reason to visit Bardigues is to eat at the Auberge de Bardigues. This is a lovely glass and metal structure with a huge terrace with great views over the countryside below. Despite its modern style it fits well with the old stone houses of the rest of the village. It is a lovely place to find yourself for a drink or meal and apparently the food is excellent too.
Places to Visit Nearby
Auvillar is one of France's classified "most beautiful villages" and is well worth the trip to see its circular market hall. These are virtually always rectangular and so this one is very unusual.
Moissac with its famously beautiful cloisters is the closest town to Bardigues. As well as its cloisters it has a pleasant centre.
The Chateau de Gramont with its mix of Gothic and Renaissance architecture is to the south of Bardigues. As well as the castle you can visit its museum of honey.
Map of Bardigues and places nearby
Visit near Bardigues with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Tarn-et-Garonne
Address: Bardigues, Auvillar, Castelsarrasin, Midi-Pyrenees, 82340, France || GPS: latitude 44.040833, longitude 0.89
Plan your visit to Bardigues, Tarn-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Auvillar: most beautiful village (3 km)
- Gramont Chateau: national monument (15 km)
- Moissac abbatiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (17 km)
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin): religious monument (19 km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac): religious monument (21 km)
- Lectoure: recommended detour (24 km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax): religious monument (25 km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour): religious monument (28 km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (28 km)
- Eglise de Sainte Marie (Aubiac): religious monument (29 km)
- Walibi Aquitaine: theme park (29 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech): religious monument (30 km)
The French version of this page is at Bardigues (Francais)