Strasbourg tourism and travel guide
Visit Strasbourg: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: The city of Strasbourg is one of the most important in France, and also one of the most attractive. At least a day to explore is very recommended!
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Strasbourg. For detailed visitor information see the Strasbourg travel guide.
Strasbourg is situated in the Bas-Rhin department and Alsace region (now part of the Grand-Est region), in the north-east of France - it is the prefecture (capital) of the Bas-Rhin department (general information: Strasbourg is 399 kilometres from Paris).
Attractions in Strasbourg
Strasbourg cathedral is a gothic style construction with a remarkable facade and beautiful stained glass windows: Strasbourg cathedral
Tourist classifications for Strasbourg include "heritage site", "town of art and history" and "secteur sauvegarde". It is unusual for a town to have 3 awards, which indicates how important Strasbourg is as a tourist destination!
Strasbourg, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Strasbourg in Grand-Est.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Bas-Rhin
Map of places to visit near Strasbourg
Markets in and near Strasbourg
Market days in Strasbourg: weekly market: Wednesday all day & Tuesday & Thursday & Sunday & Saturday & Monday all day & Friday all day;
- Strasbourg: market Wednesday all day & Tuesday & Thursday & Sunday & Saturday & Monday all day & Friday all day (0km)
- Ostwald: market Friday (4km)
- Illkirch-Graffenstaden: market Saturday (5km)
- Schiltigheim: market Thursday (5km)
- Bischheim: market Friday (6km)
- Erstein: market Thursday (17km)
- Brumath: market Wednesday (20km)
- Molsheim: market Monday (20km)
- Obernai: market Thursday (23km)
- Bischwiller: market Saturday (24km)
More information about Strasbourg, Alsace
Tourist attractions near Strasbourg, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Strasbourg.
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
- Obernai (23km)
Regional Natural Parcs
- Vosges-du-Nord (47km)
- Jardin botanique de l'université de Strasbourg (3km)
- Le jardin de Marguerite (10km)
- Jardin du chateau de Kolbsheim (13km)
- Jardin de l'Escalier (20km)
- Domaine du Windeck (27km)
- Jardin botanique du col de Saverne (36km)
- Jardin de la ferme bleue (38km)
- Parc du château de Kintzheim (44km)
Sites of natural beauty
- Champ du Feu (41km)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Bischheim (6km)
- Drusenheim (26km)
- Diebolsheim (31km)
- Itterswiller (33km)
- Marckolsheim (47km)
- Bergheim (50km)
- Ribeauville (52km)
Zoo and/or wildlife park
- Cigoland (42km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Strasbourg
from Strasbourg (prefecture): 3 km
from Paris: 399 km
from Calais: 501 km
from Nice: 541 km
from Bordeaux: 758 km
from Strasbourg: 3 km
Strasbourg is in the north-east of France. Most visitors fly into Paris or drive from one of the channel ports such as Calais or Dunkirk (allow around 6 hours) For driving distances to Strasbourg from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Strasbourg