Epfig, Bas-Rhin tourism & sightseeing
Visit Epfig (Alsace, France)
The village centre is picturesque, with some traditionally painted (in bright colours) half-timbered houses around the Church of Saint-George (built in the 18th century). There is also a town hall with an unusual bell tower above.
Chapel of Saint-Margaret
The main reason that visitors are attracted here is to see the lovely little chapel on the edge of Epfig. The Chapel of Saint-Margaret (chapelle Sainte-Marguerite) is small yet perfectly formed (in the shape of a cross) and one of the little highlights of the region - note in particular the frescoed interior and vaulted ceiling, and the arcaded portion around the outside of the chapel.
The current chapel dates back to the 11th century, when it was built on the site of an even earlier chapel.
A more unusual 'feature' at Epfig chapel is the ossuary that contains hundreds of skulls and other bones. The origins of the bones are unclear, with more colourful stories telling that they are the skulls of those who died in a great battle near Epfig in the 16th century, and historians suggesting they are simply overflow from an overfull cemetery.
Enthusisats of religious architecture will want to visit the monastery at Mont-Saint-Odile, in a peaceful setting north-east of Epfig.
There are also several picturesque villages close to hand including Itterswilller and Mittelbergheim (listed as one of the most beautiful villages in France) among others.
Note: all Epfig photos are copyright
Map of Epfig and places nearby
Visit near Epfig with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Bas-Rhin
Address: Epfig, Barr, Sélestat-Erstein, Alsace, 67680, France || GPS: latitude 48.3597, longitude 7.46389
Plan your visit to Epfig, Bas-Rhin
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Itterswiller: ville fleurie 4* (2 km)
- Mittelbergheim: most beautiful village (4 km)
- Domaine du Windeck: remarkable garden (11 km)
- Obernai: recommended detour (12 km)
- Cigoland: zoo or wildlife park (12 km)
- Parc du château de Kintzheim: remarkable garden (13 km)
- Champ du Feu: site of natural beauty (15 km)
- Diebolsheim: ville fleurie 4* (17 km)
- Bergheim: ville fleurie 4* (19 km)
- Ribeauville: ville fleurie 4* (21 km)
- Marckolsheim: ville fleurie 4* (23 km)
- Hunawihr: most beautiful village (23 km)
The French version of this page is at Epfig (Francais)