Gien tourism and travel guide
Visit Gien: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: To the east of the main Loire Valley, the view across the bridge to the castle and town of Gien is very atractive
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Gien. For detailed visitor information see the Gien travel guide.
Gien is situated in the Loiret department and Loire Valley region (now part of the Centre-Loire Valley region), in the western-centre of France at 59 kilometres from Orleans, the department capital (general information: Gien is 132 kilometres from Paris).
Gien, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Gien in Centre-Loire Valley.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Loiret
Map of places to visit near Gien
Markets in and near Gien
Market days in Gien: weekly market: Wednesday & Saturday;
- Gien: market Wednesday & Saturday (0km)
- Briare: market Friday (8km)
- Chatillon-sur-Loire: market Thursday (14km)
- Beaulieu-sur-Loire: market Wednesday (21km)
- Sully-sur-Loire: market Monday all day (21km)
- Chatillon-Coligny: market Friday (21km)
- Bleneau: market Tuesday (23km)
- Lorris: market Thursday (24km)
- Vailly-sur-Sauldre: market Friday (25km)
- Aubigny-sur-Nere: market Saturday all day (27km)
More information about Gien, Loire Valley
Tourist attractions near Gien, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Gien.
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
Churches and religious monuments
- Abbaye de Saint Benoît sur Loire (Saint-Benoit-sur-Loire Abbey) (28km)
- Eglise de Notre Dame (Boiscommun) (43km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame-du-Pré (Donzy) (51km)
- Potager du jardin du château de La Bussière (13km)
- Arboretum national des Barres (19km)
- Jardins du manoir du Grand Courtoiseau (38km)
- Arboretum des grandes bruyères (46km)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
Geography and distances
Distance to Gien
from Orleans (prefecture): 59 km
from Paris: 132 km
from Calais: 367 km
from Nice: 571 km
from Bordeaux: 402 km
from Strasbourg: 392 km
Gien is in the western-centre of France. Most visitors will either fly into one of the airports in Paris (Orly / Charles de Gaulle) or come via a ferry from the UK to a port such as Le Havre and Caen, 3-4 hours drive from here. For driving distances to Gien from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Gien