Bayonne tourism and travel guide
Visit Bayonne: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: Bayonne is a lovely historic city with a cathedral, a substantial old town and a charming riverside promenade
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Bayonne. For detailed visitor information see the Bayonne travel guide.
Bayonne is situated in the Pyrenees-Atlantiques department and Aquitaine region (now part of the region), in the south-west of France at 92 kilometres from Pau, the department capital (general information: Bayonne is 665 kilometres from Paris).
Attractions in Bayonne
Bayonne cathedral is an imposing gothic style cathedral with a beautifully restored apse and an impressive cloister: Bayonne cathedral
Tourist classifications for Bayonne include "secteur sauvegarde" and "heritage site".
Bayonne, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Bayonne in .
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Pyrenees-Atlantiques
Map of places to visit near Bayonne
Markets in and near Bayonne
Market days in Bayonne: weekly market: Wednesday & Tuesday & Thursday & Saturday & Friday;
- Bayonne: market Wednesday & Tuesday & Thursday & Saturday & Friday (0km)
- Anglet: market Thursday & Sunday (3km)
- Boucau: market Saturday (4km)
- Ustaritz: market Saturday (11km)
- Bidart: market Saturday (11km)
- Labenne: market Friday & Tuesday - seasonal market only (12km)
- Cambo-les-Bains: market Wednesday & Friday (16km)
- Capbreton: market every day except Monday (18km)
- Saint Jean de Luz: market Tuesday & Saturday & Friday (19km)
- Hossegor: market Wednesday & Sunday & Friday (19km)
More information about Bayonne, Aquitaine
Tourist attractions near Bayonne, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Bayonne.
- Bayonne cathédrale St Marie (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (0km)
- Sorde l'Abbaye - abbaye St Jean (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (34km)
- Porte St Jacques - St Jean Pied-de-Port (monuments on French pilgrim routes) (41km)
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
- Jardins de la villa Arnaga (16km)
- Parc du Sarrat (41km)
Sites of natural beauty
- Marais d'Orx (14km)
- Vallée des Aldudes (44km)
- Courant de Huchet (45km)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Anglet (3km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Bayonne
from Pau (prefecture): 92 km
from Paris: 665 km
from Calais: 866 km
from Nice: 704 km
from Bordeaux: 166 km
from Strasbourg: 909 km
Bayonne is in the south-west of France. Most visitors fly into Biarritz airport (Bordeaux is another option). Allow at least 8 hours for the drive from the cross-channel ferries. For driving distances to Bayonne from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Bayonne