Poudenas, Lot-et-Garonne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Poudenas (Aquitaine, France)Photo Gallery
Poudenas is a village located towards the southern border of the Lot-et-Garonne department of Aquitaine, about 15 kilometres south-west of Nerac.
The village of Poudenas falls in two distinct parts: the upper village around the castle and the lower village that is the oldest part of Poudenas and originally developed as a post relay station.
The upper part of the village is centred around the castle, with the main part of the village winding around the base of the chateau and looking out over the surrounding countryside. The chateau dates back to the 13th century, although it was substantially transformed in the 17th century to create more luxurious accommodation - it was at this time that the long row of arcades were also constructed along with the large terrace above them.
The castle is surrounded by an attractive and extensive park, and it also contains a small museum dedicated to prehistoric activity in the region (castle visits are only available for groups of 10+ and by prior arrangement).
In this part of Poudenas you can also see the 13th century church, in the roman style.
At the bottom of the hill is the river Gelise, crossed by a charming Gothic stone bridge. Opposite this there is a lovely galleried building with a wooden arched verandah - it looks to be in need of a bit of renovation but is lovely none the less. This is the original post relay station.
Poudenas is one of several small villages and market towns in this quiet region of south-west France on the edges of the historical Gascony region that deserve to be explored - preferably at a slow pace, all the better to absorb the tranquil atmosphere that has been associated with Gascony for so many centuries!
Close to the village at Arbussan you can see another very ancient church, with 12th century origins.
Visitors are spoiled for choice with several classified most beautiful villages close to hand such as Fources, Montreal-du-Gers, and Larressingle, a small but perfect fortified village as well as the chance to enjoy the quiet countryside around Poudenas.
Map of Poudenas and places nearby
Visit near Poudenas with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Lot-et-Garonne
Address: Poudenas, Mézin, Nérac, Aquitaine, 47170, France || GPS: latitude 44.047222, longitude 0.209444
Plan your visit to Poudenas, Lot-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Fources: most beautiful village (6 km)
- Montreal-du-Gers: most beautiful village (11 km)
- Larressingle: most beautiful village (14 km)
- Nerac: secteur sauvegarde (14 km)
- Beaumont sur l'Osee pont d'Artigues (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (15 km)
- Jardin et arboretum de Coursiana: remarkable garden (24 km)
- La Romieu Collegiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (24 km)
- Blaziert: ville fleurie 4* (25 km)
- Walibi Aquitaine: theme park (29 km)
- Eglise de Sainte Marie (Aubiac): religious monument (30 km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax): religious monument (34 km)
- Lectoure: recommended detour (35 km)
The French version of this page is at Poudenas (Francais)