Chalon-sur-Saone tourism and travel guide
Visit Chalon-sur-Saone: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: The pedestrianised town centre and cathedral will form the centre of your visit to the Burgundy town of Chalon-sur-Saone
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Chalon-sur-Saone. For detailed visitor information see the Chalon-sur-Saone travel guide.
Chalon-sur-Saone is situated in the Saone-et-Loire department and Burgundy region (now part of the Burgundy-Franche-Comté region), in the eastern-center of France at 54 kilometres from Macon, the department capital (general information: Chalon-sur-Saone is 296 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Chalon-sur-Saone include "secteur sauvegarde" and "town of art and history".
Chalon-sur-Saone, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Chalon-sur-Saone in Burgundy-Franche-Comté.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Saone-et-Loire
Map of places to visit near Chalon-sur-Saone
Markets in and near Chalon-sur-Saone
Market days in Chalon-sur-Saone: weekly market: Wednesday & Thursday & Sunday & Friday;
- Chalon-sur-Saone: market Wednesday & Thursday & Sunday & Friday (0km)
- Givry: market Thursday (8km)
- Saint-Germain-du-Plain: market Thursday (14km)
- Chagny: market Thursday & Sunday (15km)
- Sennecey-le-Grand: market Friday (17km)
- Verdun-sur-le-Doubs: market Thursday (18km)
- Mervans: market Friday (25km)
- Tournus: market Saturday (25km)
- Beaune: market Wednesday & Saturday (27km)
- Montchanin: market Wednesday (29km)
More information about Chalon-sur-Saone, Burgundy
Tourist attractions near Chalon-sur-Saone, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Chalon-sur-Saone.
Churches and religious monuments
- Abbatiale eglise de Saint Philibert (Tournus) (25km)
- Hospices de Beaune (Beaune) (26km)
- Eglise de Saint Pierre de Brancion (Martailly-les-Brancion) (27km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Chapaize) (27km)
- Eglise de Saint Vincent (Mont-Saint-Vincent) (33km)
- Eglise de Saint Denis (Massy) (39km)
- Abbaye de Cluny (Cluny) (42km)
- Eglise de Jalogny (Jalogny) (44km)
- Cathédrale Saint Lazare (Autun) (45km)
- Eglise de Saint Blaise (Mazille) (48km)
- Eglise de Saint Nizier (Baron) (55km)
- Parc et jardins du château de Sully (38km)
Protected historical centre (fr: secteur sauvegardé)
(see also historical French towns)
Sites of natural beauty
- Cirque du Bout du Monde (27km)
- Confluence - la Seille (31km)
- Seille (Saône) (31km)
(recommended place to break a long journey)
- Charolles (59km)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Beaune (27km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Chalon-sur-Saone
from Macon (prefecture): 54 km
from Paris: 296 km
from Calais: 512 km
from Nice: 392 km
from Bordeaux: 473 km
from Strasbourg: 295 km
Chalon-sur-Saone is in the eastern-center of France. Most visitors fly into one of the Paris airports and hire a car or drive from a channel ferry port - allow about 6 - 7 hours. For driving distances to Chalon-sur-Saone from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
We have 15 other places listed as being close (less than kilometres from ): Champforgeuil, Chatenoy-en-Bresse, Chatenoy-le-Royal, Crissey, Epervans, Farges-les-Chalon, Fragnes, Lans, Lux, Oslon, Saint-Marcel, Saint-Remy, Sassenay, Sevrey and Virey-le-Grand.
This page in French: Visiter Chalon-sur-Saone