Amboise tourism and travel guide
Booking.com: best prices
Visit Amboise: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: Although it is the castle that attracts visitors to Amboise, you will also enjoy exploring the main square and old streets elsewhere in the small town
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Amboise. For detailed visitor information see the Amboise travel guide.
Amboise is situated in the Indre-et-Loire department and Loire Valley region (now part of the Centre-Loire Valley region), in the eastern-center of France at 22 kilometres from Tours, the department capital (general information: Amboise is 189 kilometres from Paris).
Attractions in Amboise
The Chateau d'Amboise is a castle with impressive gardens and a lovely view across the rooftops of Amboise: Chateau d'Amboise
The Domaine Royal de Château Gaillard in Amboise is the first Renaissance manor house in France, newly restored and surrounded by lovely gardens: Domaine Royal de Château Gaillard
Tourist classifications for Amboise include "secteur sauvegarde".
Popular places to visit nearby include Chateau de Clos Lucé at Amboise at 1 km and Domaine Royal de Château Gaillard at 1 km. For more places to visit and local tourist attractions see the map and listings below.
Amboise, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Amboise in Centre-Loire Valley.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Indre-et-Loire
Map of places to visit near Amboise
Markets in and near Amboise
Market days in Amboise: weekly market: Sunday & Friday;
- Amboise: market Sunday & Friday (0km)
- Blere: market Tuesday (10km)
- Montlouis-sur-Loire: market Thursday (12km)
- Montrichard: market Friday (17km)
- Cormery: market Thursday (20km)
- Chateau-Renault: market Tuesday & Saturday (20km)
- Saint-Pierre-Des-Corps: market Wednesday & Tuesday & Saturday & Friday (20km)
- Saint-Avertin: market Wednesday & Friday (20km)
- Pontlevoy: market Thursday (21km)
- Esvres: market Saturday (21km)
More information about Amboise, Loire Valley
Tourist attractions near Amboise, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Amboise.
- Aquarium du Val-de-Loire (6km)
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
- Cloisters of la Psalette (22km)
- Fougeres-sur-Bievre Chateau (27km)
- Chateau d'Azay-le-Rideau (43km)
- Talcy Chateau (52km)
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
- Parc et jardins du château de Valmer (9km)
- Parc et jardins du château de Chenonceau (12km)
- Domaine régional de Chaumont-sur-Loire (16km)
- Le jardin des Prébendes d'Oé (22km)
- Les jardins du prieuré de Saint-Cosme (24km)
- Roseraie des terrasses de l’évêché (32km)
- Parc du château de Beauregard (33km)
- Jardin du domaine de Sasnières (34km)
- Les jardins du château de Villandry (36km)
- Les jardins de la Chatonnière (43km)
- Jardins du château de Poncé (45km)
- Jardin du château de Talcy (52km)
Protected historical centre (fr: secteur sauvegardé)
(see also historical French towns)
- Blois (32km)
Towns of Art and history
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Saint-Cyr-sur-Loire (24km)
- Veuil (53km)
Zoo and/or wildlife park
- Réserve de Beaumarchais (12km)
- ZooParc de Beauval (34km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Amboise
from Tours (prefecture): 22 km
from Paris: 189 km
from Calais: 398 km
from Nice: 640 km
from Bordeaux: 311 km
from Strasbourg: 519 km
Amboise is in the eastern-center of France. Most visitors arrive in one of the cross-channel ports such as Caen and Le Havre (about 3-4 hours drive from here) or fly into Paris and drive south from there. For driving distances to Amboise from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
We have 8 other places listed as being close (less than 6 kilometres from Amboise): Cangey, Charge, Limeray, Lussault-sur-Loire, Nazelles-Negron, Poce-sur-Cisse, Saint-Ouen-les-Vignes and Saint-Regle.
This page in French: Visiter Amboise