Prats-du-Perigord, Dordogne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Prats-du-Perigord (Aquitaine, France)Photo Gallery
The village of Prats-du-Perigord is in the south-east corner of the Dordogne department, a few kilometres north of Villefranche-du-Perigord.
France This Way comment: the village of Prats-du-Perigord really is very small and takes a short time to explore, but the centre is pretty so we recommend you stop for a stroll when you are passing.
There is a parking area next to the main road through the village: park here and explore on foot. The road through the centre of Prats-du-Perigord is a loop around the village church. You are not likely to get lost!
As you stroll around the village you will see several traditional stone houses, some with nicely maintained gardens, and a traditional washhouse.
The Church of Saint-Maurice dominates the centre of the village and is a fortified church typical of those seen in several places in the south of the Dordogne. The design of the church is very austere: windows were not possible in a church that was used for defensive purposes!
The church is also much more imposing from the outside than the inside: the interior of the church has been renovated and has an attractive stone dome over the apse and an ancient wooden statue of the crucifixion.
In front of the church you can see an ornamental fountain, and Prats-du-Perigord have also planted some pretty French style gardens, which are lovely when the flowers are in bloom.
After you have made the tour of the village you can return to the parkng area and try to find a gap in the trees that allows you to see the impressive castle on the hill the other side of the road. This is a charming castle with a tower and renaissance style windows, but is not open to the public and rather difficult to see properly, especially in summer!
Also close to the Prats-du-Perigord parking there is a cafe/restaurant.
Map of Prats-du-Perigord and places nearby
Visit near Prats-du-Perigord with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Dordogne
Address: Prats-du-Périgord, Villefranche-du-Périgord, Sarlat-la-Canéda, Aquitaine, 24550, France || GPS: latitude 44.69278, longitude 1.06806
Plan your visit to Prats-du-Perigord, Dordogne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Belves: most beautiful village (10 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame de l'Assomption (Belves): religious monument (11 km)
- Jardin de Conty: remarkable garden (13 km)
- Jardins de l'Albarède: remarkable garden (13 km)
- Jardin de la Daille: remarkable garden (14 km)
- Monpazier: secteur sauvegarde (14 km)
- Eglise notre-Dame de Nativité (Cenac-et-Saint-Julien): religious monument (16 km)
- Jardins de la Bourlie: remarkable garden (16 km)
- Jardins de Marqueyssac: remarkable garden (16 km)
- Domme: most beautiful village (17 km)
- Jardins du château de Caudon: remarkable garden (17 km)
- La Roque-Gageac: most beautiful village (17 km)
The French version of this page is at Prats-du-Perigord (Francais)