Saint-Pompon, Dordogne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Saint-Pompon (Aquitaine, France)Photo Gallery
Saint-Pompon is a small village, very traditional of those in the Dordogne area, in the Céou Valley a few kilometres south of Domme.
Note that locally the village is known as Saint-Pompon while officially (and perhaps on your GPS system to get here!) it is called Saint-Pompont.
While it is true that Saint-Pompon is a small village that won't detain you for very long, it is pleasant to explore and can be visited as part of your tour of the countryside along the Céou Valley.
Parking is easy in the centre of the village, from where there are small bridges across the river to reach the historic centre - although I have visited the village on several occasions and I can't actually remember ever seeing water in this stretch of river...perhaps it does in winter?
In the centre of Saint-Pompon you can see just a few streets of houses - several of these properties have traditional features such as ornate doorways and windows, and you will also see several houses where the entrance to the property is via a stone staircase on the outside of the property, with the lower part of the house being used for storage.
The Church of Saint John the Baptist in the centre of the village is in the roman style, with the open arches around the tower the most striking feature.
Towards the rear of the church you can see the Chateau of Saint-Pompon. Built in the 16th century, the castle is not open to the public but you can still admire the stonework around the upper part of the tower which incorporates a decorative motif.
Also in the village you can see one of the original defensive gateways that controlled access to Saint-Pompon.
Most visitors to Saint-Pompon are staying in the more visited regions of the Dordogne to the north of here and looking to escape the crowds or enjoy the unspoiled charm of the Céou Valley as it passes through Saint-Cybranet, Daglan, Saint-Pompon and Saint-Laurent-la-Vallée.
Map of Saint-Pompon and places nearby
Visit near Saint-Pompon with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Dordogne
Address: Saint-Pompont, Domme, Sarlat-la-Canéda, Aquitaine, 24170, France || GPS: latitude 44.727222, longitude 1.147778
Plan your visit to Saint-Pompon, Dordogne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Jardins de l'Albarède: remarkable garden (7 km)
- Jardin de la Daille: remarkable garden (8 km)
- Eglise notre-Dame de Nativité (Cenac-et-Saint-Julien): religious monument (9 km)
- Domme: most beautiful village (10 km)
- Jardins du château de Caudon: remarkable garden (10 km)
- Jardins de Marqueyssac: remarkable garden (11 km)
- La Roque-Gageac: most beautiful village (11 km)
- Jardin de Conty: remarkable garden (12 km)
- Belves: most beautiful village (12 km)
- Beynac: most beautiful village (12 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame de l'Assomption (Belves): religious monument (13 km)
- Jardins de la Bourlie: remarkable garden (18 km)
The French version of this page is at Saint-Pompon (Francais)