Chateau de Fumel, Lot-et-Garonne visitors guide
Visit Chateau de Fumel, FrancePhoto Gallery
The Chateau de Fumel was built to help defend the Lot Valley during the Hundred years War. Slightly more lowly, it now plays home to the Fumel town hall (mairie).
Explore Fumel and the castle
France This Way comment: I have to say that Fumel itself is not the most attractive town in the region, so I wouldn't travel a long way to see the castle, just be aware if you're visiting nearby.
Little remains of the original structure of Fumel castle which was damaged severely during the Hundred Years War, and extensively rebuilt in the 15th century. Further extensive work was carried out in the 18th century - including the external gardens and terracing.
Following the revolution, the castle towers were ordered to be destroyed until they were as low as the building itself.
Little to entice you? Well, the terraced chateau gardens at the Chateau de Fumel have been carefully restored, are quietly attractive, and have fine views across the Lot River below. Both the chateau and the gardens are listed as Historic Monuments.
The region around the town is very attractive with lots of unspoiled countryside, picturesque villages and riverside scenery to enjoy, and the very lovely Chateau de Bonaguil close to hand. Visit Fumel tourist office at Place Georges Escande for details of the local attractions and events during your visit.
Boat trips on a traditional gabarre along the Lot river are also available in Fumel.
See more Dordogne castles.
Map of Chateau de Fumel and places nearby
Visit near Chateau de Fumel with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Lot-et-Garonne
Plan your visit to Chateau de Fumel, Lot-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Monflanquin: most beautiful village (17 km)
- Monpazier: secteur sauvegarde (21 km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour): religious monument (23 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech): religious monument (24 km)
- Pujols: most beautiful village (26 km)
- Eglise Sainte-Croix (Beaumont-du-Perigord): religious monument (29 km)
- Jardin du Pèlerin: remarkable garden (30 km)
- Lauzerte: most beautiful village (30 km)
- Grottes de Fontirou: site of natural beauty (30 km)
- Belves: most beautiful village (31 km)
- Jardin de la Daille: remarkable garden (31 km)
- Eglise Notre Dame de l'Assomption (Belves): religious monument (31 km)
The French version of this page is at Chateau de Fumel (Francais)