Chartres tourism and travel guide
Visit Chartres: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: Although most famous for its cathedral, you will also find plenty to explore elsewhere in the town of Chartres
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Chartres. For detailed visitor information see the Chartres travel guide.
Chartres is situated in the Eure-et-Loir department and Loire Valley region (now part of the Centre-Loire Valley region), in the eastern-center of France - it is the prefecture (capital) of the Eure-et-Loir department (general information: Chartres is 78 kilometres from Paris).
Attractions in Chartres
The 13th century cathedral in Chartres is generally considered to be one of the most beautiful gothic cathedrals in the world: Chartres Cathedral
Tourist classifications for Chartres include "heritage site", "secteur sauvegarde" and "ville fleurie 4*". It is unusual for a town to have 3 awards, which indicates how important Chartres is as a tourist destination!
Chartres, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Chartres in Centre-Loire Valley.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Eure-et-Loir
Map of places to visit near Chartres
Markets in and near Chartres
Market days in Chartres: weekly market: Saturday;
- Chartres: market Saturday (0km)
- Luce: market Sunday (3km)
- Maintenon: market Thursday (18km)
- Courville-sur-Eure: market Thursday (18km)
- Auneau: market Friday (21km)
- Voves: market Tuesday (22km)
- Nogent-le-Roi: market Saturday (23km)
- Bonneval: market Monday (30km)
- Dreux: market Wednesday & Sunday & Monday all day & Friday (34km)
- La Loupe: market Tuesday (35km)
More information about Chartres, Loire Valley
Tourist attractions near Chartres, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Chartres.
- Rambouillet Chateau (34km)
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
- Chateaudun (43km)
Regional Natural Parcs
- Haute Vallee de Chevreuse (44km)
Churches and religious monuments
- Cathédrale de Chartres (Chartres) (1km)
- Abbaye Notre Dame des Vaulx de Cernay (Cernay-la-Ville) (42km)
- Notre Dame de Port Royal des Champs (Magny-les-Hameaux) (54km)
- Le pré Catelan (24km)
- Domaine national de Rambouillet (33km)
- Parc du château de Groussay (45km)
- Parc du château de Breteuil (47km)
Sites of natural beauty
- Château de Sauvage (24km)
- Forêt de Rambouillet (37km)
- Vaux de Cernay (42km)
- Vallée de Chevreuse (49km)
Towns of Art and history
- Rambouillet (33km)
Villages in bloom 4* (fr: ville fleurie)
- Moutiers (27km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Chartres
from Chartres (prefecture): 1 km
from Paris: 78 km
from Calais: 280 km
from Nice: 690 km
from Bordeaux: 431 km
from Strasbourg: 461 km
Chartres is in the eastern-center of France. Most visitors fly into Paris CDG or Orly airport and hire a car. The drive from the channel ferry ports such as Caen or Le Havre takes around 3 hours. For driving distances to Chartres from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
We have 13 other places listed as being close (less than kilometres from ): Barjouville, Champhol, Chartres Cathedral, Fontenay-sur-Eure, Gasville-Oiseme, Gellainville, Le Coudray, Leves, Luce, Luisant, Mainvilliers, Morancez and Saint-Prest.
This page in French: Visiter Chartres