Briancon tourism and travel guide
Visit Briancon: highlights and tourist informationTravel Guide To Visit Attractions
France This Way comment: The town of Briancon is best known for its extensive Vauban fortifications, and also has lots to discover in its old town
This page features a summary of highlights that you might like to explore near Briancon. For detailed visitor information see the Briancon travel guide.
Briancon is situated in the Hautes-Alpes department and Provence region, in the south-east of France at 58 kilometres from Gap, the department capital (general information: Briancon is 547 kilometres from Paris).
Tourist classifications for Briancon include "secteur sauvegarde" and "town of art and history".
Briancon, France: places to visit and attractions
Some of the places that we have visited and reviewed and can recommend when you are sightseeing close to Briancon in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur.
Note that all distances below are 'direct' and real driving distances will be greater!
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Hautes-Alpes
Map of places to visit near Briancon
Markets in and near Briancon
Market days in Briancon: seasonal market: Sunday; weekly market: Wednesday;
- Briancon: market Sunday - seasonal market only (0km)
- Briancon: market Wednesday (0km)
- Le Monetier-les-Bains: market Friday - seasonal market only (12km)
- Vallouise: market Thursday (13km)
- L'Argentiere-la-Bessee: market Friday (13km)
- Abries: market Wednesday (26km)
- Guillestre: market Monday (27km)
- La Grave: market Thursday (30km)
- Embrun: market Wednesday - seasonal market only (40km)
- Embrun: market Saturday (40km)
More information about Briancon, Provence
Tourist attractions near Briancon, France
Some places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Briancon.
Grand sites of France
- Vallee de la Claree (8km)
- Briancon fortifications (Vauban fortifications) (1km)
- Mont-Dauphin place forte (Vauban fortifications) (26km)
Most beautiful villages in France
(see also beautiful French villages)
- La Grave (30km)
- Place Forte de Mont-Dauphin (26km)
Recommended detour towns (fr: plus beau détour)
- L'Argentiere-la-Bessee (13km)
- Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne (47km)
Regional Natural Parcs
- Queyras (26km)
- Jardin alpin du Lautaret (28km)
Sites of natural beauty
- La Meije (28km)
- Aiguilles d'Arves (34km)
- Cirque de Viso (43km)
- Lac de Serre-Poncon (49km)
- Col de la Croix-de-Fer (49km)
Geography and distances
Distance to Briancon
from Gap (prefecture): 58 km
from Paris: 547 km
from Calais: 760 km
from Nice: 143 km
from Bordeaux: 568 km
from Strasbourg: 418 km
Briancon is in the south-east of France. Most visitors fly into Nice, Lyon or Grenoble airports. By car from the UK allow about 10 hours for the journey from Calais to here. For driving distances to Briancon from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visiter Briancon