Mont-Dauphin, Hautes-Alpes tourism & sightseeing
Visit Mont-Dauphin (Provence, France)Photo Gallery
Mont-Dauphin is a fortress designed by the famous French military architect called Vauban. The fortified village is in the Hautes-Alpes department of France (in the Provence region), on a cliff above the Durance river and the river Guil.
Mont Dauphin was built in the late 17th century, early 18th to protect France on its Italian border. Vauban, France's famous military architect, chose the Plateau des Mille Vents to build Mont Dauphin which is a fortified site designed for a civilian population but with a military garrison as well.
In 1713 the Italian border moved further from the site and so the early development was not increased with time, and Mont-Dauphin was never invaded.
The site and fortress are now a listed historic monument and also a UNESCO World Heritage Site as one of the Vauban designed fortifications of France.
Mont Dauphin is entered through the main building, the officers pavillion which housed the officers. Also on the sight you can see the imposing arsenal. The arsenal had two wings but one of these was destroyed by an Italian bombing raid in 1940.
Around the edge of the village there remain various barracks, one of which is now home to Mont-Dauphin town hall and various craft workshops. The village church commissioned by Vauban remains unfinished as the population of Mont-Dauphin remained small.
Surrounding the buildings of the village are the fortifications with their triangular and half-moon shaped bastions and walls protected by mounds of earth. Walking around the edges of these the views are stupendous - looking out as they do over the crossroads of two valleys. Even if you are not an enthusiast of military architecture it is worth visiting Mont-Dauphin for the views.
Briancon is not far away and is home to another of Vauban's forts.
Map of Mont-Dauphin and places nearby
Visit near Mont-Dauphin with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Hautes-Alpes
Address: Mont-Dauphin, Guillestre, Briançon, Provence, 5600, France || GPS: latitude 44.67, longitude 6.6244
Plan your visit to Mont-Dauphin, Hautes-Alpes
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Place Forte de Mont-Dauphin: national monument
- Mont-Dauphin place forte (Vauban fortifications): heritage site
- L'Argentiere-la-Bessee: recommended detour (15 km)
- Queyras: regional natural parc (18 km)
- Briancon: secteur sauvegarde (26 km)
- Briancon fortifications (Vauban fortifications): heritage site (26 km)
- Lac de Serre-Poncon: site of natural beauty (28 km)
- Vallee de la Claree: grand site of france (34 km)
- Cirque de Viso: site of natural beauty (34 km)
- Source - Verdon: site of natural beauty (39 km)
- Col de la Bonette: site of natural beauty (41 km)
- Col d'Allos: site of natural beauty (42 km)
The French version of this page is at Mont-Dauphin (Francais)