Vieux, Tarn tourism & sightseeing
Visit Vieux (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
Vieux is a village in the Tarn department in the Midi-Pyrenees region of France, close to the beautiful village of Castelnau-de-Montmiral and the Foret de la Gresigne.
Vieux is a pretty little village about half way between the attractive towns of Gaillac and Cordes-sur-Ciel. The village climbs gently up the hillside and is dominated by the attractive octagonal tower of its church and a tall square tower near to the marie.
The church was once an important pilgrim destination. It dates back to the 8th century though has been destroyed and rebuilt on several occasions.
The church contained the bodies of several saints but in 1494 it was ordered to give up its saints and a procession took the five saints bodies from the church at Vieux to the cathedral at Albi. The bodies of these saints had made Vieux an important pilgrim site for several centuries and to encourage some pilgrims to continue to come to Vieux one bone was kept from each of the saints.
Inside the church there are some excellent 14th century frescoes depicting various events from the bible. The church is open for visits in July and August on Wednesday, Saturday and Sundays from 3-6pm.
Vieux has been an important religious site for centuries as can be seen by the menhir close to Vieux. The menhir is 2.6 meters high and 2.4 meters wide and is aligned on an exact north-south line. It is estimated to weigh between 12 and 20 tons and was erected in neolithic times, 4-5000 years ago.
If you are in the area on the summer solstice visit the menhir at midday to see it entirely enveloped in the sun's light.
Places to Visit Nearby
The 'most beautiful village' of Castelnau-de-Montmiral is very close to Vieux and well worth a visit to see the delightful medieval square.
Map of Vieux and places nearby
Visit near Vieux with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Tarn
Address: Vieux, Castelnau-de-Montmiral, Albi, Midi-Pyrenees, 81140, France || GPS: latitude 43.994167, longitude 1.873333
Plan your visit to Vieux, Tarn
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Jardin de Paradis: remarkable garden (10 km)
- Gaillac: recommended detour (11 km)
- Bruniquel: most beautiful village (18 km)
- Jardins de Quercy: remarkable garden (21 km)
- Rabastens église Notre-Dame-du-Bourg (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (23 km)
- Episcopal City, Albi: heritage site (23 km)
- Parc Rochegude: remarkable garden (23 km)
- Jardin du palais de la Berbie: remarkable garden (23 km)
- Albi: secteur sauvegarde (23 km)
- Beaulieu en Rouergue Abbey: national monument (24 km)
- Najac: town of art and history (26 km)
- Jardin des Martels: remarkable garden (27 km)
The French version of this page is at Vieux (Francais)