Verfeil-sur-Seye, Tarn-et-Garonne tourism & sightseeing
Visit Verfeil-sur-Seye (Midi-Pyrenees, France)Photo Gallery
Verfeil is a small bastide in the Tarn-et-Garonne department of the Midi-Pyrenees, close to Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val and also the charming Jardins de Quercy situated between Verfeil and Varen.
Verfeil-sur-Seye is a 13th century bastide. It is small but attractive village with its houses built of stone or half-timbered walls and all with wooden shutters painted in the blues, greens and reds common to the area.
At the centre of the village is the stone pillared village hall surrounded by stone buildings including some with attractive arched arcades. Nearby is the church which is home to a fine 17th century wooden altarpiece painted gold which originally came from the Abbey of Beaulieu three kilometers away.
The church is relatively new having been built in the 18th century. This is because Verfeil was orignally a protestant stronghold but it was defeated during the Wars of Religion and its original church destroyed. Later the catholics built the current church.
Places to Visit Nearby
The charming 'Jardins de Quercy' are nearby. They are listed as one of the 'Jardins Remarquable' (Remarkable Garden) of France. With a strong English garden influence these gardens with their deep borders are well worth a visit. The French influence can still be seen in the clipped box and santolina that provide a lot of the structure in the gardens.
The gardens are open from the 17th May to the 30th September, Fridays to Mondays.
The beautiful town of Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val just a few kilometers to the south is not to be missed. It has a lovely medieval centre.
Map of Verfeil-sur-Seye and places nearby
Visit near Verfeil-sur-Seye with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Tarn-et-Garonne
Address: Verfeil, Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val, Montauban, Midi-Pyrenees, 82330, France || GPS: latitude 44.187222, longitude 1.877222
Plan your visit to Verfeil-sur-Seye, Tarn-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Jardins de Quercy: remarkable garden
- Beaulieu en Rouergue Abbey: national monument (3 km)
- Najac: town of art and history (9 km)
- Gorges de l'Aveyron: site of natural beauty (11 km)
- Jardin de Paradis: remarkable garden (15 km)
- Cayriech: ville fleurie 4* (22 km)
- Villefranche-de-Rouergue: recommended detour (22 km)
- Bruniquel: most beautiful village (22 km)
- Gaillac: recommended detour (32 km)
- Saint-Cirq-Lapopie: most beautiful village (35 km)
- Sauveterre-de-Rouergue: town of art and history (35 km)
- Parc Rochegude: remarkable garden (36 km)
The French version of this page is at Verfeil-sur-Seye (Francais)