Uzerche, Correze: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Uzerche (Limousin, France)Photo Gallery
The historic town of Uzerche is in the Correze department of Limousin to the north of Brive-la-Gaillarde and in a pretty riverside setting surrounded by tree covered hills. The medieval old town is spread out along a rocky outcrop, which is encircled by a meander in the Vézère River.
You can park in the car park marked 'vieille ville' which is the best placed for exploring Uzerche old town.
France This Way comment: it is quite unusual to come across a town that exceeds our expectations as we travel around, and it was a pleasant and unexpected surprise to discover that Uzerche was a far more interesting town than we had expected as well as benefitting from a very scenic location. Uzerche is often referred to as the 'Pearl of the Limousin' (a description first used by an 18th century writer), and when you visit you will understand why.
The medieval town is quite extensive, with a row of impressive buildings spread out along the fortifications and looking down on the Vézère River. There are also a few streets of old houses behind these ramparts. Many of the most noteworthy buildings have information placards explaining their historical origins.
Two of the main buildings overlooking the river are the Maison Boyer Chammard, easily recognisable by its impressive balconies, and the Hotel des Joyet de Maubec. These two buildings date from the 16th to 18th centuries.
Among the other historic buildings to discover in Uzerche are:
- the 12th century roman style Church of Saint-Pierre, and its medieval garden
- the 14th century Prince Noir (Black Prince) Tower
- the ancient Church of Saint-Eulalie, said to date from the 10th century
- the Chateau (Hotel) Becharie
- the Hospice and the associated chapel
- the renaissance style Maison Eyssartier
There are many other interesting buildings and several smaller houses with features of architectural interest - ornate stone doorways, turrets etc such as the Chateau de Tayac, or the small Chapel Notre-Dame de Becharie at the upper (south-eastern) end of the fortifications.
There is a quite remarkable number of monuments for one town, but no need to try and remember all these buildings if you are visiting - the Uzerche tourist office have a detailed map to make sure you see all the most interesting sights!
There are good views from the higher parts of Uzerche, especially the region around Saint Eulalie which can be accessed either by a small road above the fortifications, or by a steep flight of stairs that winds up past the terraces below the castle. After exploring the old town head down into the valley below where you can walk along the banks of the Vezere River, with tables provided for picnics and nice views of the river with the old town behind.
Because of its location, Uzerche is well placed for those wishing to pursue outdoor sports such as canoeing, hiking, mountain biking and mountain climbing.
The chateau at Arnac-Pompadour is 20 kilometres to the west of Uzerche, and other recommended places to visit include the villages at Treignac (to the north-east) and Segur-le-Chateau (to the west). Both of these villages are classified among the 'most beautiful in France' and within about 20 kilometres of Uzerche.
Map of Uzerche and places nearby
Visit near Uzerche with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Correze
Tourist classifications for Uzerche
Uzerche is classified as a recommended place to break a long journey (village d'etape)
Address: Uzerche, Tulle, Limousin, 19140, France || GPS: latitude 45.416, longitude 1.5666
Plan your visit to Uzerche, Correze
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Segur-le-Chateau: most beautiful village (20 km)
- Donzenac: village d'etape (21 km)
- Treignac: most beautiful village (22 km)
- Magnac-Bourg: village d'etape (25 km)
- Cascades de Gimel: site of natural beauty (26 km)
- Saint-Yrieix-la-Perche: recommended detour (30 km)
- Pierre-Buffiere: village d'etape (35 km)
- Gouffre de la Fage: site of natural beauty (35 km)
- Jardins du château de Hautefort: remarkable garden (37 km)
- Jardins de l'Imaginaire: remarkable garden (38 km)
- Collonges-la-Rouge: most beautiful village (40 km)
- Turenne: most beautiful village (40 km)
The French version of this page is at Uzerche (Francais)